• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I crop a shape so it stays within another shape?

Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty new to illustrator and I could not find a better way to word this problem. But I'm currently working on a comic strip and I've run into a problem. In the image I have left, this character is meant to be looking down at a device. However, I can't quite figure out a quick and convenient way to crop the iris/pupils so they don't go outside the eye itself. I don't quite understand how clipping masks work so I normally just use the pen or pathfinder tools. Though they work, they seem like too much of a hassle. What method should I use to better crop shapes from extending out of other shapes?Capture.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

You can use the draw inside - which creates a clipping group. You can see that the shape gets this dotted line around the corners. Then when you draw anything, they are inside. Make sure to click back to normal mode after. To adjust objects after you have gone back to normal, you can use the direct select arrow or double click to go into isolation mode.

Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 3.07.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 3.07.36 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the draw inside - which creates a clipping group. You can see that the shape gets this dotted line around the corners. Then when you draw anything, they are inside. Make sure to click back to normal mode after. To adjust objects after you have gone back to normal, you can use the direct select arrow or double click to go into isolation mode.

Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 3.07.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 3.07.36 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ohhhh, I'm dumb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, is there a way I can take already existing shapes and put them in like this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

gatlinv51409754  wrote

Well, is there a way I can take already existing shapes and put them in like this?

Yes.

• Select the outermost shape and put it into Draw Inside mode.
  • Select all of the other shapes. They can be located anywhere.
  • Cut (or Copy), followed by Paste. They have gone inside the first shape.
  • Exit Draw Inside mode.

Again, double-click to enter Isolation mode to edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are a beginner! Be easier on yourself! Never dumb, just learning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines