• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I remove the overlapping of lines used for highlighting in shading?

Oct 05, 2017 Oct 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I loosely drew these lines over my image and I need to trim them to sit only on top of the flame.  I'm sure there is an easy answer out there but I'm new to illustrator and can't figure it out.  You can see my layers in the bottom right the two layers I need to use to merge are highlighted.  I tried selecting both and clicking merge using pathfinder but it merges the color layer into the highlights instead of the other way around.  I circled some of the most noticeable problem areas. Hopefully this question makes sense... Thanks!

help.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 06, 2017 Oct 06, 2017

I *think* I get what you want.
The easiest way to do this is to make the overall shape of the outer flame cut away the visibility of the squiggles?

If that's the case, make a duplicate of the flame layer you want to have "define" what you want to see, and put that layer directly above the squiggle layer in the layer panel. Make sure it's a closed shape. Stroke and fill won't matter 'cause that's going to disappear in a minute.

Then, select that "definer" shape AND all the squiggles. Go to Object>C

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2017 Oct 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand at all.

Please tell us some more detail as to what you expect to happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I *think* I get what you want.
The easiest way to do this is to make the overall shape of the outer flame cut away the visibility of the squiggles?

If that's the case, make a duplicate of the flame layer you want to have "define" what you want to see, and put that layer directly above the squiggle layer in the layer panel. Make sure it's a closed shape. Stroke and fill won't matter 'cause that's going to disappear in a minute.

Then, select that "definer" shape AND all the squiggles. Go to Object>Clipping Mask>Make, and it should be only showing you the squiggles inside the shape you used.

Can't make a video right now, so I hope that helps...

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  That's what I managed to work out.  It was hard because of how messy my layers and paths are but I got it to work.  Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

MForsburg​ - I'm so glad that was helpful!

That whole layer management thing can get really messy when we're just making stuff and being creative. I've found that the more times I've had to futz with stuff like this, the better my layer management's become!

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines