• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you create THIS texture?!?!?!?!?!

New Here ,
Apr 29, 2012 Apr 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's driving me nuts!

The vintage shading below.

http://images.veerle.duoh.com/uploads/inspiration-images/SW-cover-big.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Enthusiast ,
May 21, 2012 May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK . . . I am determined to destroy this topic. It's exactly the kind of thing I must know how to do . . .

No disrespect Wade, but  . . . your example totally blows, haha. Great thinking, though. I tried it after I saw your post. It almost works . . .

But I'm convinced now that this textural effect is done in Photoshop. Whether or not you want to import the created Photoshop textures into Illy and mask them to vectors, or maybe just Live Trace the texture itself, is beside the point.

What's important here is just how to get this sort of chunky, "binary" gradient.

Back to my Fourth of July poster this morning and I searched for a way to knock my high-detailed spraypaint to something more like the OP's image.

With just a little setup, here's what the Stamp filter did for me:

TEXTURE!.PNG

I'm very pleased with the results. For linear chunky gradients, one could create a tiling pattern to fill shapes with, in Illy. If you know how to use PS and Illy in conjunction this method arms you with the ability to easily achieve the OP's desired result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2014 Mar 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may be a larger time suck than you are willing to undertake, but the purist in me enjoys doing it this way...

Create a scan of acrylic or gouache paint strokes, and either create bitmap tifs out of them or pull them into illustrator and live trace them and then just fit them into your shapes using a clipping mask. Also using rolled ink textures works fairly well. You can find those at lostandtaken.com or just make your own.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2014 Mar 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try EFFECTS / DISTORT / GLASS / (Frosted)  use distortion around [10], smoothness [1], scaling [50%]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2014 Mar 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I go over this in my Lynda.com course "Drawing Vector Graphics: Color and Detail" here:

http://goo.gl/s866d

Here is a set of vector graindients I created for this exact type of shading FX in Ai. You can download it here:

https://copy.com/rOF7tA96vaOQlmov

The image below shows the graindients I created in use in this vector illustration. I explain everything in my videos for Lynda.com. It's not too difficult it just takes time to do it well and involves some creative masking. If you're not worried about having a distinctly resolution independent file (vector) than taking your base art out of Ai into Photoshop and doing it there is much easier and more flexible IMO.

Von

Fish.jpg

Creative Director / Illustrator
PPLLUVProcess.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 09, 2014 Mar 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google motivate plugin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2014 Nov 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am watching your video , and so far, you are just giving the explanation but not showing how is it that you do your effects. It would be really helpful if you do a tutorial from scratch to finish. You are awesome by the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 07, 2014 Nov 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a tutorial for a similar effect in the tutorial here:

Add depth and texture in Illustrator | Graphic design | Creative Bloq

--OB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 12, 2016 Jun 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the video file from post #18 available, I'd like to watch but I can't download ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

StrongBeaver schrieb:

Is the video file from post #18 available, I'd like to watch but I can't download ?

It's a video on Lynda.com. You need a subscription or a 7-day test account to watch it. The courses are not for download.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Texturing like this even more easily and better done in Photoshop IMO than it ever will be in Illustrator. Adobe just hasn't improved vector based brushes since they released them so it's clunky and non-intuitive at best. But it is possible. My post above with the fish has a broken link because Copy.com was shut down May 1, 2016.

But you can get access to the brushes I used either through my courses: "Drawing Vector Graphics: Color and Detail", "Drawing Vector Graphics: Painting with Vectors" and a few others via http://www.drawingvectorgraphics.com

Or you can buy this vector brush set called "The Awesomely Organic Vector Brush Essential Bundle" at Retro Supply Company and it comes video tutorials showing you how use use this very texture. Find that here: http://www.retrosupply.co/products/the-illustrators-organic-vector-brush-pack

I've also created some vector paint brushes here that let you get very authentic looking painterly feel in Illustrator as well and this set also comes with a video tutorial on how to do it. Find these brushes here: http://www.retrosupply.co/products/dragstrip-2-vector-brush-pack

It's not hard to use a pattern brush (That is what it technically is for this look and feel in Ai), it's just not very simple in Illustrator. Photoshop is the best environment IMO to do it with ease.

Von

PPLLUVProcess.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your dragstrip-2-vector brush pack looks good, may be all I need to know

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2016 Aug 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, wich part of the video on Lynda?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2016 Oct 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to this link first: http://www.drawingvectorgraphics.com

Once there you can watch either of these courses where I cover this:

- Drawing Vector Graphics: Color and Detail

- Drawing Vector Graphics: Painting with Textures

I also have a video where I showcase using vector based brushes and in it you can see the scatter brush to do this type of detailing. That said I'll warn you. Scatter brushes in Ai work, but they will dog down your system quickly. They bloat a file quickly. This is because Adobe has never improved this functionality once they released it. So it's still not as intuitive or easy as Photoshop in terms of texturing IMO.

Painting with Vectors Bonus - YouTube

Hope that helps.

Von

PPLLUVProcess.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2017 Jul 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello
Could you reupload it please

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2017 Jul 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can buy my vector brush set which contains graindient brushes for this look here: https://www.retrosupply.co/collections/brushes/products/everything-glitschka

---

Von Glitschka, Creative Director

Glitschka Studios | www.glitschkastudios.com

ph. 971.223.6143 | Twitter | Facebook

Sent from my Timex Sinclair 1000

PPLLUVProcess.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2014 May 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is was so helpful to me! I found the Sponge > Stamp method to be the best and smoothest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2014 Oct 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a tutorial by Invisible Creatures showing EXACTLY how they get this effect in AI. Pretty cool stuff, I have used this method many times and the effect is great. In this example they use simple halftone dots, but the same method can be employed using any textures you have.

Link here>>>Invisible Creature Speaks » Blog Archive » Adobe Illustrator CC Tutorial + Poster

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2015 Jul 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2016 Oct 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've figured out a way to make a brush with this texture, Von above has already mentioned using custom brushes and his brushes are great. I've also used the method suggested using the appearance panel with the 2 fills - 1 black and white gradient with the grain effect applied and then multiplied- however I find that it greys out the colour on the black side of the gradient.

I still haven't figured out how to make a colour transitional, grainy gradient however in Illustrator with a brush it does allow you to change one colour and have the grain fade.

1) draw a medium rectangle and fill it with the standard black & white gradient. Note: Not in appearance panel.

2) With it still selected, go to effects>sketch>graphic pen and set the stroke length to 1.

3) Then Object> Expand appearance

4) Image trace in Black and White with the settings:

Threshold- 250

Paths 90%

Noise - 3px

Check Ignore white

Expand it and you can change the colour and also turn it into a brush, by playing with the brush settings you can have it follow the direction of your stroke also. I hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2016 Dec 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey, i'm trying to use your technique, but I'm having difficulties.
What's the final configuration of your brush?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 01, 2016 Dec 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Visit the link in the post above yours and the two courses I list cover this exhaustively.

If you don't have a Lynda.com account use this URL to get a FREE seven day pass:

lynda.com/trial/VonGlitschka

Trying to answer it in a post is futile, it's best answered via video and that will be done via the courses.

Von

PPLLUVProcess.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2017 Apr 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vonster​, are you "the" Vonster who made the beautiful Vonster patterns in Illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I created those. I didn't realize they'd brand them with my nickname though. Thanks.

PPLLUVProcess.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are lovely, Von!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 08, 2018 Oct 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beware the sheer number of vector points this would create!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines