• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you make a hole in a clipping mask?

New Here ,
Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to make a hole in a clipping mask. Here's an image of what needs to be done:

help.png

The image, outlined in red, has been created using a clipping mask, and the the white part between the ladys'(?) arm and the grass is what needs to be transparent.

Basically, the white parts are a part of the clipping mask, and I need to make them transparent. How do I do this?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

Release the mask. Then create a compound path out of the outer path and the hole. Reapply this as a clipping mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Release the mask. Then create a compound path out of the outer path and the hole. Reapply this as a clipping mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a ton, that did it! Here's the end result:

grow-square.png

Do you happen to have any advice that may help an illustrator novice? Anything that would make the image look better or more engaging?

Thanks again for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2023 Dec 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I know how to use compound path but I don't know what the answer means but 'outer path and hole' so instead I just made a shape to fill the hole with the pencil tool and filled it with the same colour as the background...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2023 Dec 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the OP's example, the outline of the entire image is the 'outer path'. The white parts where the figure's arm position creates negative space are the 'holes'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2023 Dec 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks alot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use a compound path to create the clipping group (and don't forget to include the second white part next to the stem).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines