Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How: make segments of the same path overlap each other

New Here ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 3.15.15 PM.png

The U pictured is a single path with a gold fill color and a black 5pt. inside stroke.  I would like the left top-right section to overlap the right top-left section but, instead, the overlapping segments are affecting each other and pushing the stroke out instead of overlapping.

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

You probably need to make a copy of this letter and expand it, Object > Expand Appearance first, so that you can make edits once the paths have no stroke. I attached a 1 min video, small 4MB - hopefully this will upload and be of help.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From this selection, it doesn't seem to be a vector image. Can you post your layers panel expanded with the object selected so we can see what is going on. Is this a vector image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a Vector Image I made tracing a raster image.  The "textured" areas you're seeing are the original image underneath and then I'm making a vector path on top of it.  Sorry, I should have turned off the raster before I screen shot.  I ended up just expanding appearances and making the black and gold seperate paths with no stroke.  Thanks for your help though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You probably need to make a copy of this letter and expand it, Object > Expand Appearance first, so that you can make edits once the paths have no stroke. I attached a 1 min video, small 4MB - hopefully this will upload and be of help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I ended up doing and it works, just a little more time consuming than I was hoping for but you can't argue with success.  Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is a vector and a compound path, you may try to change the winding rule in the Attributes panel.

Winding Rule.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is close but it gets rid of the inside fill and I want it to complete the inside fill like in the attached image.  I ended up just duplicating the path and expanding appearance so the black and gold are seperate and controlable.  A little time consuming but it works.  Thanks for your help tho.Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 5.50.17 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines