• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to change dpi/ppi measure unit.

New Here ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi recently i have been having a problem with illustrator, suddenly the unit it displays when i am trying to make a new document is ppi, when it previously was dpi.

I want illustrator to give me the option to choose my file dpi NOT ppi, i dont know why the unit suddenly changed, but now everytime i try to make a new document it only displays the option to change ppi instead of the previous unit dpi. I do not care if some think they are interchangeable or that i should use a converter, i only want to change these option. I have already searched for answers here but i only managed to find a very salty user trying to impose his opinion instead of answering the question. Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

They must have changed that. Does not matter if you make a new document in web or print presets or change untits for pixels to inches will stay PPI. Dont worry about that pretend is the same, long explanation of digital verus print terminlogy. For print 300 should be a good number to choose, unless you have a super high lpi which no even does anyone usually 150 to 175lpi for litho 133 to 150 for flexo.

More importantly are settings like add ____ around object if you have a very large format pr

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you talking about the setting for raster effects?

That has alway been ppi.

Illustrator does not have a ppi or dpi, it is a vector application.

The only time ppi or dpi comes into play is with raster effects and image export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, yes i was talking about that. I am pretty sure that previously the unit showed was dpi now it´s ppi, i would like to revert it. I am gonna make a poster that includes an image and it´s gonna be printed, thats why i would like to change the unit used for raster effects. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version had that?

And you can still change the raster effects setting amount.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, currently i am on version 25.4.1. I don´t remember having an update just before the problem appeared, so i guess dpi was the default unit in this version. I am still able to modify the value/number of ppi. Thxs!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The setting has always been PPI, at least as far back as CS5:

Adobe-Illustrator-CS5.1_ss_032.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They must have changed that. Does not matter if you make a new document in web or print presets or change untits for pixels to inches will stay PPI. Dont worry about that pretend is the same, long explanation of digital verus print terminlogy. For print 300 should be a good number to choose, unless you have a super high lpi which no even does anyone usually 150 to 175lpi for litho 133 to 150 for flexo.

More importantly are settings like add ____ around object if you have a very large format print drop shadow or glow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, not what i was waiting for but thanks for pointing me towards a good ppi value for printing. Thank you, i will see what results 300 ppi provide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines