• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to convert a white image with transparent background into vector?

New Here ,
Nov 12, 2016 Nov 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to convert it by using the Image Trace, but each time I got either the whole image filled with white or a blank transparent image.

Here is my image in png format. (you can't see it because it's white, but try to download it)

My Logtpo copy.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Nov 12, 2016 Nov 12, 2016

Hi Goodluck

The most straightforward solution to your problem is to open the file in Photoshop, invert it (Command-I on a Mac, Control-I on a PC) so it is black instead of white, save it, and then trace it in Illustrator.

Or, since it is a fairly simple shape, you could simply retrace it using the pen-tool in Illustrator.

Hope that helps

Michael Riordan

Owner/Adobe Certified Instructor

Digital DesignLab

Oak Park, IL

http://www.learnadobesoftware.com

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Advocate ,
Nov 12, 2016 Nov 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Goodluck

The most straightforward solution to your problem is to open the file in Photoshop, invert it (Command-I on a Mac, Control-I on a PC) so it is black instead of white, save it, and then trace it in Illustrator.

Or, since it is a fairly simple shape, you could simply retrace it using the pen-tool in Illustrator.

Hope that helps

Michael Riordan

Owner/Adobe Certified Instructor

Digital DesignLab

Oak Park, IL

http://www.learnadobesoftware.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 13, 2016 Nov 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Place the file in Illustrator.

Choose: Edit > Edit Colors > Invert Colors.

Use Image Trace (with Ignore White in the Advanced options).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2023 Sep 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This allows tracing but then your formerly white image is now black and any other colors are inverted too (blue is orange etc). How to trace a white image and keep its original white, blue, etc colors?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have an image with white and other colors, just trace it as color. No need to invert it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for the reply. When I do that, I got a white box fill. If I set it to ignore white, I lose the logo. Attachments show: original logo, trace w color mode, trace w ignore white selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see, in this case I would put a rectangle behind the image, give it a color that is not in the image.

Check the resolution of your image in the Control bar, select both the image and the rectangle and Object > Rasterize it at that resolution.

Trace it and sample the color to ignore with the eydropper or just trace it and remove the color after expanding

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thanks, I'll give that a shot. As a not-pro-Illustrator user I'm confused why this is so difficult! But maybe it's just something I don't understand about how Illustrator works. Thanks again for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2023 Sep 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree, it could be improved by just tracing white instead of seeing it as paper color.

In your example you could still use the Invert trick with Ignore white. Just apply Invert again after expanding the trace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines