• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to created a 'pixelated gradient'?

Nov 03, 2011 Nov 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm lookinf for help on how to create a pixelated gradeint (if that's the correct term!) in Ullustrator CS5. I will be using a country map outline as the 'boundary' or container for my graphic.

Below is a image I found on a stock website, which is basically what I want to do, but with only 2 colours. (though I'm assuming because it's a gradient I can changed them anyway). I've had a go with Live paint, which worked to some degree but it was incredibly time consuming and I have 20 or so graphics to do! Plus I want to minimise the lines as much as possible, which is not what is shows below.

Thanks for your help.

Stock_pixelated_graphic.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2017 Feb 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would prepare it in Photoshop.

Bildschirmfoto 2017-02-25 um 13.43.04.png

You will need to know how many tiles there are in order to generate a diffusion dithered bitmap which is applied as a layer mask in PS

Then make object mosaic from that in Illustrator

Bildschirmfoto 2017-02-25 um 13.43.48.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

How about creating it in pointillism style?DotAfrica.jpg

Something like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need a map that has the desired coloring. Or just a map and then apply coloring with gradients or whatever you please.

Convert to a raster graphic.

Apply Object > Make Object Mosaic

Use the desired number of tiles (see documentation if you don't know how to use it)

Then ungroup (maybe twice, watch the layers panel)

Apply Effect > Convert to Shape > Ellipse (you need to set a low negative value)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.. very nice community here.. cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines