• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to delete an area inside an image so that it's transparent?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2022 Jul 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured out to to delete everything around an image so that the background is transparent but I can't figure out how to delete an area inside the image so that area is transparent too. Like a coffee cup, how to do you make the inside of the handle transparent too?

Thanks.

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jul 31, 2022 Jul 31, 2022

I figured it out. Took me awhile to find the how-to video explaining what i needed. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a few ways you can do this - it depends on the kind of shape you want to make inside the other. For example, if you are hollowing out a rough or hand drawn type of shape, use the eraser tool (shift+e) _ select the shape to be hollowed,  adjust the brush size, and begin painting. 

If you want to cut out a more refined, detailed shape from within another shape, use the pen or pencil tool — draw the shape you want to remove, and then either:

a) select both your shapes and select Object > Compound path > Make

or

b) select both shapes and using the pathfinder panel (from the window menu) select the "minus front" icon.

You can continue to edit both shapes (use the white direct select tool to isolate one shape from the other) and the effects will update each time.

I hope this helps!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I figured it out. Took me awhile to find the how-to video explaining what i needed. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines