• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to design a ring with different segments of different colours with a contour, with Illustrator ?

New Here ,
Aug 26, 2022 Aug 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone! I have to design a dial (half ring) with different segments of different colors and an outline. Could you help me because I can’t create the ring with the contour. When I vectorize the contour and use the Pathinder to isolate the segments, the contour of my ring disappears.
Thank you in advance for your help. If you have a video tutorial to advise me, I am a taker.
Have a good day and see you soon,

Olivia

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show a sketch or what you've got so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not clear what you mean by "contour" and "when I vectorize the contour". Please post more details about what you're doing, what you've tried, and how the result differs from your objective. Screenshots can't hurt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

n fact, I would like to design this sundial with Illustrator. I would like to make a contour.
I made it but using Illustrator and Photoshop. You can see the result in attachment. Too many steps and too much lead time.
Could you give me some advice?
Thank you in advance and excellent evening to you.

Olivia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can start with a circle

delete the bottom anchor

increase the stroke

Expand the stroke

Draw a line from the bottom middle and transform rotate:

Screenshot 2022-08-31 at 20.17.08.jpg

use pathfinder devide

now you can add a stroke to the segments and a fill colour:

Screenshot 2022-08-31 at 20.22.44.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Olivia,

It sounds like a nice challenge.

In addition to what Ton and John said, it is easiest for helpers if you show the screenshots/whatever by using the Insert Photos button in the Reply box, the one looking like Moon over Mountains.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the appearance to add multiple strokes, with the thickest on the bottom. One shape is easier to edit rather than a shape for each color.

MikeGondek_0-1661525938059.png

If you need more help, please provide enough detail/example to be able to help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much FOR YOUR valuable advice. I will take it into account in my designs.
Good evening and see you soon !

Olivia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Find one you like on the interwebs, put on a sub-layer, lock it and redaw it... If it's high quality you could even Image Trace it...

colorful-dial-indicator-icon-vector-image-isolated-white-background-colorful-dial-indicator-icon-118930508.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much FOR YOUR valuable advice. I will take it into account in my designs.
Good evening and see you soon !

Olivia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Polar Coordinates; Live Paint Bucket. 

Then expand and remove the unwanted parts. 

Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 3.35.03 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-08-31 at 3.37.15 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-08-31 at 3.38.54 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines