• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to install Tex fonts on illustrator properly (Mac OS)

New Here ,
May 20, 2023 May 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was aware that TeX math fonts in cm family e.g. cmmi10 is not natively supported by illustrator. I frequently ran into problems that figures I made using python script with TeX fonts can't be correctly loaded into illustrator, which is understandable.

Previously I remember that on one of my macbook I copied the TeX font files (pfm and pfb) under the folder

/usr/local/texlive/2023/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/public/amsfonts/cm

into the adobe font folder 

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Fonts

and illustrator would recognize the TeX math fonts correctly. 

Now I got a new macbook and I tried the same thing, but it just doesn't work anymore. I also tried the cm ttf files got from CTAN and install to mac system font book under folder

/Users/XXX/Library/Fonts

but it's just not the same, and the font looks different from the tex font from texlive, even though they have the same name.

So I want to ask what is the proper way to install these fonts from texlive onto the adobe illustrator on my computer? Is there like an extra step I have to do to activate them? I am sure it should work because on my old macbook it works, with the same version of illustrator 2023 and those font files I got from the texlive folder, I just could not remember exactly how I did it, and it seems to be more than a simple copy & paste of files between folders. 

TOPICS
How-to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , May 20, 2023 May 20, 2023

PFM/PFB is a type 1 font. Support has ended.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 20, 2023 May 20, 2023

You will want to replace your fonts with OpenType versions. Try here: https://ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/cm/ps-type1/bakoma/otf

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also noticed that now from Jan illustrator pops up this notification that type-1 font won't be supported, I am not sure if that's the issue cause my old computer also has this pop-up but the amsfonts can still be correctly displayed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PFM/PFB is a type 1 font. Support has ended.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply! In that case does it mean it's simply an illustrator version difference? If I roll back to a previous version it would work again? If I want to use the up to date version, is there an alternative font type I can use but it's the same math font essentially?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks anyway, I rolled back to 27.2 version and the fonts indeed work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will want to replace your fonts with OpenType versions. Try here: https://ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/cm/ps-type1/bakoma/otf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines