• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make different shapes on an image with the pen tool in illustrator to colour each part

New Here ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I have used the pen tool on an image to make the shape of a flamingo in illustrator. But I would like to be able to colour each part of the flamingo seperately in the end so I have to make the feather, head, feet, eyes on the flamingo to be drawn with the pen tool to seperate parts I assume. But how do I do that best and easiest an still make correct overlap on the shape I already made of the flamingo. (hope it make sense) see attached files I have tried to show what i mean by using the pen tool on the second picture to draw seperate parts of the flamingo but it doesnt quite do it even when not doing it fast like her it still gets over the lines of the shape and I guess ther must be an easier way by just make a few simple lines and the make seperate shapes out of that afterwards

Hope anyone can help me

Kind reagards ðŸ™‚ 

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you want the finished vector drawing to be a photo-realistic reproduction of the flamingo image? Or do you want it to have a more simplified, graphic or abstract look? Perhaps even cartoon like? The intended look of the finished illustration can make a difference how to plan out the drawing process.

Obviously the flamingo image should be isolated on its own layer and locked so it can't be moved accidentally. New artwork can be laid over the photo image on new layers. Depending on how complex the vector illustration needs to be you may need just a few layers for something simple or perhaps many layers for something more complex or realistic. Separating different parts on different layers (and labeling layers) can help keep a project organized.

If you are not already familiar with using the Pen tool I strongly recommending learning keyboard shortcuts associated with it. The shortcuts can save a great deal of time. The most commonly used ones can be pressed by having your left hand near the Shift, Ctrl, Alt and Spacebar keys. The shortcuts will let you make adjustments to the path while you're drawing it. The Spacebar key will toggle the hand tool, letting you shift the view. Ctrl+Spacebar will toggle the zoom tool; you can right-click and drag the mouse button for animated zoom in or out. Those view shortcuts will allow you to zoom in tighter and work more accurately. It takes a bit of practice to get good at using those keyboard shortcuts.

Some of Illustrator's other drawing tools, such as the Paint Brush or Blob Brush, can be used to quickly hand draw line or brush stroke details or fill in areas. Art Brushes can be applied to paths drawn with the Pen Tool to yield certain effects. Again, having a good idea how the finished drawing is supposed to look will determine which tools should be used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines