• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to quickly copy Appearance effects from object to object?

Enthusiast ,
Mar 08, 2012 Mar 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop, this is beautifully simple and fast.

But in Aunty Illie, without clunkily defining a new Graphic Style and applying that to the desired inheriter of the effect(s), how does one apply one or two effects currently applied to Object A, to Object B?

And let's assume both Object A and Object B have assorted effects already applied. I just want to take the Drop Shadow from Object A and give it to Object B without messing it's currently applied effects.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 05, 2016 Jul 05, 2016

A bit of a band-aid that is more workflow order specific. But I often decide what one of those effects are, and then after I've set it on one object I can use the quick key to reapply my last effect used to the next selected object. So if I press the quick key CMD + SHIFT + E on mac OS then it repeats that last effect. This will add the effect regardless of what other appearance effects are already existing. In the screenshot you can see it applies the drop shadow from Object A to Object B witho

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Select the object you want to copy the effect from, then open the Appearance palette; double-click the effect you want to copy and it'll open the dialogue box for that effect with the settings of that object. This now sets the effect to those options.

Close the dialogue box without changing the settings and now select the object you want to apply the effect to, then from the Effect menu choose that effect - the dialogue box should open with the settings that you want.

Apply the effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Pro Tip: In the appearance menu, grab the preview at the top of the visibility column and drag it to the object you would like to copy the appearance too. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the manual on graphic styles. You can add them to effects that are already applied. If you want to copy effects from one objects to the other, use the eyedropper tool or the layer panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can add what to "effects that are already applied"?

Using the eye dropper will apply all effects from sampled object, I only want its Drop Shadow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can only add graphic styles. (see manual)

With the eyedropper you cannot add an effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

make a graphic style that is just the drop shadow that you want.

select [object b] and option click that graphic style to apply it without interfering with any other appearance attributes.

There's no way to eyedropper only one portion of the effects you have applied.  There's no way to drag/drop only a portion of the appearance attributes.

i like to have a notebook handy for moments like these. 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2016 Jul 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A bit of a band-aid that is more workflow order specific. But I often decide what one of those effects are, and then after I've set it on one object I can use the quick key to reapply my last effect used to the next selected object. So if I press the quick key CMD + SHIFT + E on mac OS then it repeats that last effect. This will add the effect regardless of what other appearance effects are already existing. In the screenshot you can see it applies the drop shadow from Object A to Object B without affecting the existing 3D effect that was applied.

Screen Shot 2016-07-06 at 12.22.10 AM.png

Also you can use the eyedropper to clone an appearance by holding SHIFT + OPTION and clicking on the object you want to copy the appearance from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Genius! So from the appearance panel click on 'drop shadow' then close that, select other objects you want and reapply the shadow just by holding shift+option(Alt on a PC)+E. You just saved me some time. Thanks very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2024 Apr 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank You! Brilliant!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found this video, looks like it is an answer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g1hDAKegw8

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the object you want to copy the effect from, then open the Appearance palette; double-click the effect you want to copy and it'll open the dialogue box for that effect with the settings of that object. This now sets the effect to those options.

Close the dialogue box without changing the settings and now select the object you want to apply the effect to, then from the Effect menu choose that effect - the dialogue box should open with the settings that you want.

Apply the effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This👆 This is the answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 23, 2023 Oct 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the easiest way to do it, and copies all effects for the object (e.g. the entire style, like in Photoshop) not just one effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pro Tip: In the appearance menu, grab the preview at the top of the visibility column and drag it to the object you would like to copy the appearance too. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2023 May 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Easy and fast!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 04, 2023 Aug 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

O. M. G. That is so easy and sensible... ty!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2023 Nov 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2023 Dec 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesomely easy, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2023 Oct 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to this video. It is easy...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paEErTStZgw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines