• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to "apply to all" replace a picture that appears several times in the same document in AI 27?

Explorer ,
Aug 09, 2023 Aug 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why's the "apply to all" option to replace images is gone? It's a absolute time saver in my field (pre-press, printing). Is there a way to do the same as in ALL previous versions of AI?

I've opened the same file, containing the same picture mutiple times in AI 2022 and AI 2023. In 2022, I can update the picture in one click. In 2023, I have relink it 10 times.

Screen Shot 2023-08-09 at 09.12.32.png

TOPICS
Bug , Feature request , Import and export , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 12, 2024 Jun 12, 2024

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @davids52636861,

Sorry to hear about this experience. Would you mind checking if Illustrator also behaves this way with other files? If not, kindly share a sample Ai file along with the linked files so we can try and replicate this on our end.

Also, try resetting Illustrator's preferences by following the steps shared in this article (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/troubleshoot-preference-issues.html) and sharing your observations.
Disclaimer: Please note that resetting preferences will remove all custom settings, and Illustrator will launch with the defaults. You may save a backup of these settings from the location mentioned in the article.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, still isn't working when you relink a link that has a different name. Example, I do commercial bread bags. My printing layout file has the same bag 8 times. Each individual bag is made in Illustrator 2023, saved as a PDF then placed in the dieline for production printing. Let's say I work on white bread. Then I need to do the Whole Wheat bread. Same bag size in the same layout. Usually, I was just creating the WholeWheat file by copying the White bread layout into another folder where the WholeWheat bags design is. Then, when I open it, it asks me to relink the files. Before, I was able to relink with the WholeWheat file with apply to all and then, Boom!, the Whole Wheat layout is done in 2 seconds. Now, it asks me to replace the White Bread by Whole Wheat 8 times.
8 times is not a big bug you'll say, but I got other jobs where it's 10, 12, or even more files/pictures that I need to quickly replace like that. Multiply that by 12 to 20 jobs a day, losing a minute or 2 each time, at the end of the day, it's 1 or 2 jobs that aren't done. And less jobs done means less money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2023 Aug 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured I'm not the only one affected by this problem.  In my instance it is crippling.  I have over a hundred files setup for various high volume clients that rely on the replace all feature.  Upto ~300 placeholders per file!  
I'm not sure what is supposed to be enhanced by removing this feature, but it failed.
Reinstate replace all.  Subscriptions are counting on it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2023 Aug 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guy's, I have the same problem, has everybody else due to the upgrade? This is a big problem for me working in the label printing trade, working with step & repeat files. Could it be sorted ASAP, thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2023 Aug 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here! Thought I was having a mental moment. Use it for populating press sheets... Tried to go through the link art  options as a work-a-round but that's even worse. I was excited about the beta built-in font finding option (more alpha than beta...) but the "replace all" option is core to prepress workflow. Come on Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 21, 2023 Aug 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Dr. Ivey Bonz@davids52636861@clanmcfadden@Snap Graphix,

Thanks for your patience. Our team has confirmed the problem and is working to fix this in a future release. For now, would you mind installing an older version of Illustrator (https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html) and checking if it helps?

Also, kindly upvote this UserVoice (https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/47070262--repla...) and add your comments there. Doing this will help us prioritize this request, and you will keep getting all the related updates.

Feel free to reach out if you have more questions or need assistance. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2024 Jun 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also use this feature on a daily basis for hundreds of linked files.  If it wasn't broken, why remove it?  This feature has been working fine for 8+ years.  Now some genius at Adobe removed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2024 Jun 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As much as I enjoy communing with fellow graphics professionals, this game of hide and seek with this feature is exactly what a live service application/suite is supposed to prevent... Having to role back my software everytime Adobe chooses to loose it is getting/gotten annoying. PLEASE fix this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2024 Jun 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2023 Aug 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is fixed in the current public beta version 27.10.215, so we should see it fixed in the next general release too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 23, 2023 Aug 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does that mean it'll be fixed in an upcoming 2023 update or will we have to wait for the 2024 version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2023 Aug 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would expect a point release before the 2024 version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 15, 2024 May 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah just found mine gone today. I'm pretty sure this must have disappeared with my last update as it was a feature I was using constantly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2024 May 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine too ! Version 28.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2024 May 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like the problem is back. Just got 28.5 and the option is gone... again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2024 May 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

¡Mine too! vesion 28.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines