• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to recreate this font "Rock 'n' roll"?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2019 Jul 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello how would I be able to recreate the font "rock 'n' roll" to "understanding". I have tried all night without success, can someone help me out?

udnerstanding.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Jul 02, 2019 Jul 02, 2019

I took the "rock and roll" cropped area and created a high contrast image then placed in Illustrator and image traced it. Then used expand to create the inside areas. A little cleanup and it was done. Looks almost identical to the poster.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Usually, you do that by drawing the characters manually. Just like the folks did it in 1969.

In Illustrator you can use brushes or some "distort effects" in order to make it look a bit more hand-made. Or just draw it carefully with the Pen tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mastering the Pen Tool and utilizing  that skill  along with guidelines the only  way I can think of,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is it exactly that you need help with--the technical how to? Or how to design the type?

To create the typeface, it would probably be a good idea to start with pencil and paper (I know, old school--but it really does work best) and trace over the current letters--you have quite a few that are already designed for you and the rest you can base on other letter styles. Then Once you have the word designed, scan it into Illustrator as a template.

Then it looks like there are two layers to each letter--the color and the outline and they will need to be created separately. If you are unfamiliar with the Pen tool, visit: How to draw with the Pen, Curvature, or Pencil tool in Illustrator

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As others have indicated, you would need to draw the letters by hand. You could reuse some of the existing letters or trace them with the Pen tool. Letters like "U" which aren't on the poster, you would need to visualize and draw from scratch.

If you don't want to do that, look for a decorative font on the web. There are many out there, and many that are free. You won't find the exact same font because the one you show in your screen capture was hand drawn, but you might be able to find one that you like and can use. Some font examples: Manhattan Darling, Justin Road, Leika -- there are hundreds to choose from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wouldn’t the image trace tool be of use in this situation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could give image trace a try. You might be able to rescue the outlines of some of the letters that way, but you would still have touch up to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took the "rock and roll" cropped area and created a high contrast image then placed in Illustrator and image traced it. Then used expand to create the inside areas. A little cleanup and it was done. Looks almost identical to the poster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for letting us know. I'm glad everything worked out well for your poster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. I meant this as a solution for the original poster. I tried it myself and it worked so I posted the steps I took. This isn’t my project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oops, sorry for the misunderstanding. I hope it works for the OP as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines