Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to scale Illustrator files

Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

sorry for bothering, a customer needs to print giant graphics (like 5MT.x4MT. and similar sizes). Artworks made by me, obviously very big files for this customer.

They asked me to reduce the scale of the files so their computer could open them. How can I do that (easy)? Does it mean I have to scale down all objects, tables and files? Or is there a function that makes that faster and easier on Illustrator?

I see scale options when exporting in .png, but what about pdf formats? Is there something similar instead of using the scale tool for every object and re-adapt every single table to them? That's a very crazy and long job..

Can I at least scale the objects synchronized with the tables??

Thank you very much.

Glauco.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

If the artwork is entirely vector-based the size of the artwork shouldn't make any difference to the service bureau doing the print work unless the artwork has a lot of raster-based live effects (such as drop-shadows, etc) baked into it. If you have any raster based effects present in the artwork please check your document raster effects settings. The 300ppi default setting is overkill for large format printing work. For items like banners, vehicle graphics or anything else with a medium viewing

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Definitely turn down the raster effects settings to something like 36ppi. If the artwork is purely vector the setting won't affect the print quality. It will help reduce the overall file sizes. If there is pixel-based artwork in the layout, such as photos then something on the order of 72ppi would be better for that. The pixel grid on photos won't be obviously visible from several feet away (also most large format printing RIP applications will do their own interpolation tricks to soften any pix

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to the Illustrator forum from Using the Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To get a comprehensive answer, you would have to post more details about the contents of the artwork. Is it all vector?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it is! There's a pattern too, but all vector.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glauco,

Given the information, I believe you can select everything and simply scale down, but it is crucial to have Scale Strokes & Effects ticked; you can do that in a few places, including the Transform panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the artwork is entirely vector-based the size of the artwork shouldn't make any difference to the service bureau doing the print work unless the artwork has a lot of raster-based live effects (such as drop-shadows, etc) baked into it. If you have any raster based effects present in the artwork please check your document raster effects settings. The 300ppi default setting is overkill for large format printing work. For items like banners, vehicle graphics or anything else with a medium viewing distance a 72ppi setting is good enough. For outdoor-based projects (signs, billboards) you can define a custom setting such as a 36ppi or 25ppi. That will reduce the overall file size.

Most companies offering large format print services can take Adobe Illustrator .AI files or .PDF files created by Adobe Illustrator. I don't recommend using pixel-based images such as PNG for large format printing work. If I have to settle for sending a pixel-based file to a service bureau, such as a company that prints billboard faces, I'll send a LZW-compressed TIFF image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, thank you so much!

Well, the artworks are for an exhibition stand, and every file is an actual wall side. Total 4 walls + 1 door.

In only one wall there is a .png picture, but that is not the problem because they have it even on the other files (and I mean, they are 3-500MB each, they are not that huge!).

Maybe you are right, I can turn down the ppi... So you think that 36ppi are enough for such walls??

Thanks again in advance!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely turn down the raster effects settings to something like 36ppi. If the artwork is purely vector the setting won't affect the print quality. It will help reduce the overall file sizes. If there is pixel-based artwork in the layout, such as photos then something on the order of 72ppi would be better for that. The pixel grid on photos won't be obviously visible from several feet away (also most large format printing RIP applications will do their own interpolation tricks to soften any pixel jaggies). Anything that's going to be viewed up close, such as just a couple of feet, would need higher ppi settings. But such prints aren't going to be all that big. I'd print a movie poster one-sheet (41" X 27") with 150ppi raster effects and photo imagery. A lot of it is just a push and pull balance between overall size of the print and viewing distance (not to mention file size and performance load on the computer).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much, that is very useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines