Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to use type path like a text box

Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im trying to curve text around something BUT i want it to behave like a text box. I don't want to type vertically or along the path, if that makes any sense.

Like, if I started typing, it wouldn't go along the path, the first letter would stay on the path and I'd type away from the path, then when I hit enter, the first letter I type will be on the path and so on.

This may not even be a thing but I thought I'd ask if anyone knew how to do this.

Screenshot 2023-03-30 144535.png

TOPICS
Tools , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In former Illustrator versions that was possible with type on a path and Tate-Chu-Yoko. Unfortunately, that way does not work anymore in recent Illustrator versions.

Are you always using numbers with four digits?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this document, yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In other documents it's at least always the same number of digits?

Or does it vary (123, 1234, 12345, 123456 etc.)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Always the same number of digits. This one is 4. The next one I think is 3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, then one way I'd recommend is to create a scatter brush consisting of a dummy type object, draw the desired path, apply the scatter brush with appropriate settings (spacing, rotation relative to path), expand its appearance, possibly make threaded text and fill in your numbers.

Keep in mind that more often than not you may have to add a certain number of anchor points to the path of the scatter brush in order to get smooth results. There are different ways to do that (Object menu > Path > Add anchor points or as an effect with the Roughen effect for example).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2023 Apr 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or like this:

Vertical Numbers on Path (Illustrator sample file)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just use the vertical type on a path tool...

eh, ignore this, I didn't see Kurt's answer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not quite, Met.

The basic functionality of the Vertical Type on a Path tool does not allow the requested behaviour. One has to juggle it a bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah ha, interesting.

So in your file, it's just the text that is formatted in a specific way?

I can take that text and apply it to any standard stroked item (and it works) but if I paste it into a standard text box it's just a continuous single line of text. All I can see is a space separating each four numbers, so how are you setting this up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's Tate-Chu-Yoko. You have to turn on the East Asian Language options in the preferences to use it.

In older Illustrator versions Tate-Chu-Yoko was a bit easier to handle, such that you could create line breaks just with the Enter key. That ability was removed some years ago and today the Enter key immediately creates an irreparable overset situation.

But it's still useful sometimes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool, thanks Kurt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not perfect but this is Area Type - add text within shapes. It needs some finessing with spacing, but it basically does the job. To get the numbers to follow the arc you make an enclosed shape that you can then click that path to add the Area Type. 

thejanebradbury_0-1680633633005.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks thejane but the text doesn't change angle as it goes around the curve (i.e. stays perpendicular to it) as the OPs picture shows...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know. But I'd have the text in a duplicate shape and then rotate that shape to the desired position. As I said, it doesn't work straight out of the box, but I thought it might be an option. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines