• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I cannot copy/paste to specific art boards.... sometimes...

Participant ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All.

I have an issue sometimes with copy/paste.  

IF- I have multiple artboards.... and I have a objects on layer 1, artboard 1 and I want to move those objects onto artboard 2.  I select them... copy them... and then I select the other artboard and hit paste in front... this works about 80% of the time.  Sometimes... AI pastes them back onto the orginal artboard... sometimes.... a random artboard.  It's confusing and I cannot figure it out.

Here is another situtaion.... In the layer window... on my layer... if I click just to the right of the circle... AI will select all items on that layer... if I then move to another artboard and hit "paste". Ai will past the items into the original artboard not my new artboard... which is counter productive to what I need to happen.  This doesn't make sense to me as to why this happens.

Is there a better way to move items from artboard to artboard?   I have hundreds of items on 10-12 layers on one artboard and need only a small selection of them to migrate to the 2nd artboard. Also I need them to paste in the exact same position... just on a new artboard... So I always use the paste in front command as that keeps the same placement as long as my artboard are equal size.  But again... as I said... this works about 80% of the time and I can't figure out why it sometimes doesn't work.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried and failed to replicate your results: it works correctly every time, except: when I think I've selected another artboard but have not actually done so; or when I've accidentally selected an incorrect artboard.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Tromboniator.

I appreciate your efforts.  Here is a video grab of this issue in actions.

As you an see I did a copy paste 3 times... it works like a charm the first two time... the third time... it does not.

In this video I'm trying to copy those red/orange panels and or some grey panels to a new artboard.   I use the same process each time for the copy paste.  I select the items in the layer, then Edit>copy, I then select my artboard (I put a small grey square in this artboard to select in order fore viewers to see I'm actually selecting an object on that artboard), then Edit>paste in front.  It works 2 out of 3 times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InL5O98HipA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you selecting the other artboard?

For example I copied something on artboard 3, I then select Artboard 2(see screenshot with layer name highlighted)  in the artboard panel, then paste in front, and it goes to artboard 2. You can also click on the white of the canvas to change the artbaord layer.

MikeGondek_0-1649363657240.png

If you selected an item on artboard 1, and then you unknowingly  shift clicked the canvas of artboard 2, it would paste in front onto artboard 2. That is my best guess as what may be happening to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In this case I put a grey rectangle in my artboard so that everyone can see I'm selecting an object on the artboard.  This to me switches AI over to that artboard, no?

I'm not using my keyboard at all for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines