• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I don't know how to word this. Change individual letters of a word back to an editable word?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2022 Sep 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I download an AI editable text effect file but I don't know how to make the individual letters that form a word back into a word so I can change the word.

Can someone please tell me the steps.

Thank you.

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 07, 2022 Sep 07, 2022

Does this answer your question?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1hwK4RwGxY

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2022 Sep 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know what the font is? Do you have it installed on your computer? You'll need to reset the type by clicking with the Type tool and spell out the new word. With it highlighted, use the Eyedropper tool to sample the existing text. If it works, it should apply the effects of the old text to the new text. Select and delete the old text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2022 Sep 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Larry:

Thank you for the response and my apologies for the delay in getting back to you. 

I may have to reword my question. I am a Creative Cloud member. I went to Adobe Stock & Marketplace and downloaded an Illustrator file template. In order to customize the template I'll need to edit the "dummy" text. However I can't, and this is the reason for my post. Each individual letter can be edited but the word itself can not be changed. So, for example, if the template had the words "Sale this Tuesday." and I wanted it to read "Sale this Friday." I can't change Tuesday to Friday. I know it has something to do with grouping or ungrouping, but every artical or video I find just talks about how to move of alter the individual letter. 

Appreciate your time.

-Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 07, 2022 Sep 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this answer your question?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1hwK4RwGxY

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, Monica. Thanks for replying. I think this answered my question, albeit not what I was hoping for.  What I gathered from the video is the reason I can't edit the words from a downloaded template is because the creator of the template can't include the font with the design, which I guess makes sense in some regards. No big deal. I'll just create new text with the fonts I have avalable to me in creative cloud. Thanks again.   - Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 04, 2022 Sep 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide a little more info.... where did you get the file?
Link please.....

Also share a screen capture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines