• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I somehow changed my artwork into a static image..help revert it back!

New Here ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have been working on a figure for a few weeks. Nothing crazy, just a schematic for a paper. I finished up a first draft and exported the ai file as a jpeg to share with my collaborators. Saved the ai file as I have done a billion times and went on with my day. When I went back to apply their edits, the whole artboard moved as one image. I checked the layers (I had organized the layers for easy editing) and the whole thing is listed as one layer. Now I am dreading going back and remaking this schemtic that I have already spent weeks on. It still saves as a ai file, but acts like an image. I have exported ai files to jpegs multiple times and never have this issue. Is there a way to "undo" it as an ai image and go back to being a dynamic file?

I can share the image, but I don't think it will add value to this drawn out explanation of me being an idiot. 

Thanks in advance

TOPICS
Draw and design , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell us the version and system

Exactly where did you save the file with which options?

Please check out the layers panel. Are there clipping masks?

Do you by chance have Time machine running?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Adobe Illustrator 25.4.1 (I believe the latest version) on my macbook pro. File was orginally saved to a dropbox location with simple "save as..." then navigate to the desired file location. I did save a later version in the creative cloud (because I am constantly paranoid about losing stuff) but it's a very rough version of it. To export, I just did "export as..." then the jpeg option. I did not see an option for clipping masks in the layers panel. 

Unfortunately, the solar panels for my time machine take a few years to charge it up. So I wont be able to fix this mistake until 2025 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a small chance, at best - but.

Check to see if you accidentally opened your file with an earlier version of Illustrator. If that is what happened, and you did not subsequently save the flattened result, you may be able to remedy this by closing, and then re-opening with the correct version of Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, the solar panels for my time machine take a few years to charge it up. So I wont be able to fix this mistake until 2025 😞

By @default6pfvrwn8189u

Yeah, funny. You didn't tell us your system. So in case it's a Mac, you might want to use Time Machine

When saving to Dropbox some people experience a bug where only the PDF part of the file gets saved which leaves you with clipping masks. So please check the layers panel to investigate your file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thing to check, is there any vector info left in the file, choose Outline from View menu (or ctrl-Y).

If the screen is a series of overlapping wireframes you still have vector data. If not you're screwed.

Maybe the art is locked, grouped, clipping mask, compounded, layers are locked, you have the artboard tool open (in use).

You should be able to select any unlocked vector in outline view with the direct selection tool - and maybe even locked art if you have that pref turned on - whether it's in a group, clipping group, compound group etc.

(You're sure you not opening one of your jpegs in a pdf wrapper by mistake?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for all of the troubleshoot ideas! Unfortunely, there isnt any vector data left. Guess I learned my lesson about not saving to the creative cloud 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines