Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustator layer locking with password protection

Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2022 Feb 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Is there any option that we can lock layer in Ai, that can be unlocked only with pass? I want to prevent other users of file to edit that layer in any way.

TOPICS
Scripting , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not possible.

You can't even lock a file, since the PDF password can be circumvented easily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tought there was some script to target leyer and add password protect on it. Because with lock anyone can ulock it... And I need other users not to intervine with content of that leyer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To really do this, a C++ plugin has to be made. Such a plugin can make art inaccessible by regular means by putting the art into a special object of type "PluginItem". If users do not have your plugin installed, they can still see the art but nobody can edit the item without having this C++ plugin on their system. If they do have this plugin, the code of it can be code such that it will only let editing through the means that it provides. One of those means can be a UI that takes in a password before unlocking the next UI that does art manipulation (moving art in and out of this special container).
So, while it's a big effort to do C++ compared to scripting, that's a way that is technically possible to lock down any Illustrator artwork through extensibility options that we do have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're just dealing with users accidentally editing the layer, one idea is to save the layer as a editable pdf and import that file back in as the "locked" layer. Your users won't accidentally edit it because it is a placed file.

However, if you want to lock it so that no intentional editor can alter it, then it will be very difficult, especially if you allow the file to be printed or exported to other formats. For example a user could print to a raw postscript or pdf file and then re-open that file, now with no protection.

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought that also but they still can put some unwanted obejcts on that layer that is what im trying to avoid...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you receive the artwork file back from the editors afterwards? If so, another approach could be to establish a protocol, explained to editors, that a special layer will always be reverted to an earlier state. A script could do this after you receive the file back. Or a script could warn you that a special layer no longer matches your original in terms of its items.

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes we do and although we tell them not to put anzthing on that layer they always do 😞 and that data that they place should be on the other layer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jelena,

is there no way to just talk to your co-workers and explain that there is one or a couple of taboo layers that must not be edited in any way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem is that people even if thez are told not to thez are placing stuff on lazer tehz shouldnt... It is a head issue 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I remember seeing a plugin that would require a password for either expand or unlock a layer. I can't remember, it was a long time ago, but for the life of me I couldn't find it online.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be a great help if you find it  thank yooouuu  ❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never heard about the plugin Carlos is referring to and I rather doubt that it ever existed. But I may be wrong.

At least it was not world-famous, otherwise some more Illustrator users would remember it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so if you never saw it, it doesn't exists?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Carlos, as already stated above, I just said that I'd rather doubt that it ever existed, but I could be wrong.

There is already a feature request, by the way:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests/suggestions/440...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This would be great if it could be made...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines