• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator 2019 - File Type Association (WIN) *Bug*?

New Here ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No matter what I try I cannot change the default file type .ai to always open/be associated with Illustrator 2019.

The files always show up as blank icons and I have to now always right click and 'open with' and choose Illustrator 2019.

Bug with the new updated?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Hi there,

All the users on this thread have a similar issue but not the same. Every situation here has a different fix.

XD defaulting to AI on Windows

• Please update to latest version of XD (13.1.32) to resolve the issue.

PS defaulting to AI on MAC

• Please update to latest version of Illustrator (23.0.1) to solve this issue.

For other issues: Please try these steps to correct general File association errors: How to fix broken file type associations for Creative Cloud apps

If you have tried all of these t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 108 Replies 108
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Madsih found the answer! One more tidbit though. It’s happening only in my windows 10 pro, but not windows 10 home

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution provided does not work. I have tried changing the registry, tried assigning default in all the possible ways (including the version described here) and still it does not work. In fact now .ai files are struggling to open in Illustrator. This has only been happening since the 2019 update. There is most definitely a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neither worked for me. I had to download an old version. 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here the same problem. It's a known issue in Microsoft. In fact, there is a similar tread of complains abut it in Microsoft community forums https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files-winpc/cant-change-default-program...

It seems they are working on it... but you never know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Page Not Found

We are sorry we weren't able to find what you are looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep!!... sorry, bad copy-paste 🙂 try this... I don't know if it will ask you for login.

Can't change default programs in windows 10 (Resolved) - Microsoft Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way... it says "Resolved"... but obviously isn't...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2018 Nov 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What worked for me is to just uninstall both Illustrator and XD and reinstall it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This has been the only true fix for me. Feature update to Windows 10, version 1809. I can now associate file types with their programs again. .ai files were just the worst about it when the problem started happening. Get the 1809 Windows 10 update and your problems will be solved...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines