• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator 2024- So many issues, I don't know where to start! Am I the only one?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2024 Apr 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using Illustrator for work for over 20 years. This new update has me completely confused. I can't use the pen tool and manipulate the anchors to make curves like I used to. Its taken me 10+ attempts just to select and move a simple item a 1/2 an inch on my artboard. It has taken me at least 4 times as long to create a file for a client than it did with the 2023 update. When I try to drag guides from the top and side rulers, they add wherever my curser clicks on the ruler, not to where I want to drag the guide. Am I the only one? I'm not using the Magnet app, I've seen that suggested in other posts. Im really only doing very basic things to create a tech pack for clients. I feel like a beginner, learning the basics, if I can't figure out whats wrong...... I don't know what I'm going to do? Can I go back to 2023?

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Performance , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2024 Apr 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble.  Is this Adobe Illustrator 2024 version 28.4.1?  

It sounds like a mouse driver issue, but it's hard to tell.

Are you running macOS or Windows and which version?

Yes, you can roll back to Adobe Illustrator 2023 version 27.9.3, by following these instructions:  Install previous versions of your Creative Cloud apps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2024 Apr 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello- Thank you for the link! yes, I'm on the 28.4.1 version. I'll revert back to 2023 and see if its better, or if its a mouse issue. I don't understand the free-form pen tool now though. I'm used to dropping a point and using the anchors to make curves, now it seems like theres a new 3 point process and I don't have the time to learn it!  Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2024 Apr 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using the curvature tool instead of the pen tool perhaps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2024 Sep 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac OS and my mouse and my stylus pens are working....I am going back on today and see what I can figure out and how to delete using that...like lorusopus?  When I want to type !  I've deleted it once now it's back and l find it a nusience

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 08, 2024 Sep 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Marlene333517477d34  schrieb:

..like lorusopus?  When I want to type !  

Lorem Ipsum. It's there so that you know there is a text object. Don't like it? Open Preferences > Type and turn off "Fill new text objects with placeholder text" 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2024 Apr 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This update has rendered Illustrator completely worthless this past week. Crashing 4+ a day.

• Cannot select images, shapes, text blocks to resize. ??
  • Crashes when using Perspective Grid and Selection tool.
  • My workspace profile has dissappeared, 
  • Rebuilt my workspace, and another crash reset it again.
  • I've uninstalled and reinstalled, no resolve.
  • Crashing files not saving to datarecovery nor my backup any longer, it seems the update has written over my prefs and workspace files.
  • Isn't autosaving to cloud nor my backup external disk.
  • It caused me to miss a deadline because I had to recreate a file for a client. 

Can I roll back? What is the best way to do it if I can?

This has got to be one of the worst updates I've experienced in my 30 years of using Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can access the previous version in the Creative Cloud app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Jodie Kelley Highline,

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties you've been facing with the recent Illustrator update. It sounds incredibly frustrating, especially with the impact it's had on your workflow and meeting deadlines.

Here are some steps you can take to address the issues you're experiencing:

• Troubleshooting Steps: First, try the troubleshooting steps outlined in this help article: Fix crash on launch issues. This may help resolve some of the crashing issues you're encountering.

• Share Crash Reports: If the troubleshooting steps don't resolve the issue, please share the crash reports with us. You can follow the instructions in this help article: Crash - Next Steps. Make sure to use the email address associated with your community account so we can locate the crash reports.

• Roll Back to Previous Version: If you prefer, you can roll back to a previous major version of Illustrator where you didn't encounter these issues. Here's a guide on how to do it: Install previous versions. You can keep both the latest and older (n-1) versions installed simultaneously.

Additionally, if you can provide any specific information about when the crashes occur (e.g., while working on a specific file, using a particular tool or effect), it would be helpful for our investigation.

I hope these steps help resolve the issues you're facing with Illustrator. Let us know if you need further assistance or if you have any other questions. We're here to help!

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had so many of the same problems, It started to make me feel as though I was missing something, or forgot how to use the app. I went back to 2023 using the instructions the lovely commenter above game me and... everything is great again. 

I hate not being up to date- I don't want to be an old gal stuck in my ways, but I was missing deadlines as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2024 May 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are not alone. This current update I loaded 28.5, I was hoping would fix all the issues that sprung up from the last one. Crashing multiple times per day. Usually doing simple tasks, like cutting and pasting a simple shape. It suddenly says I don't have member to paste a 10 character line of text. Ram and hard disc space are both optimal. Recovered files only working sporactically. I use Illustrator about 7 hours per work day and it's becoming untenable. It's not even anything consistent that I feel I can search for troubleshooting. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2024 May 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phew! I'm glad I'm not alone! Exactly the same thing- so many little frustrating things that there was no way to list them all and troubleshoot each and every issue. I went back to the 2023 version and have been fine. I don't want to be left behind, but i also need to get work done and hit deadlines!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 26, 2024 May 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Sabrina H, @Ann23198906j5lo,

We understand how frustrating it can be to encounter crashes in the middle of work. Would you mind trying the suggestions shared in this help article (https://adobe.ly/44UA2UN) and checking if they help? Also, kindly submit the crash report using your Adobe email address and share it here for quick tracking, as suggested by Anshul. Steps are shared here: (https://adobe.ly/44UA3YR). We appreciate your time and patience in helping us resolve this issue.

Thanks,
Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 27, 2024 May 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel your pain and thanks for asking the question. Rather than fight to re-learn an app I've been using for decades, I reverted to Illus 2023. Adobe really effed up this update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2024 Jul 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're not the only one!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2024 Jul 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rabbani Lovelace I made the jump from Adobe Illustrator 2023 to 2024....and I love it! It also depends too, if you kept the old preferences from the older version....which I have when I updated from 2023 to 2024. I have always hold the 'shift' key when resizing to resize proptionately, but when I tell my students who are using Illustrator for the first time, I have to remind myself and tell them NOT to hold the SHIFT key while resizing or else it gets distorted!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2024 Aug 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

having soooo much trouble as well.  My layers turn into ARTBOARDS with outlines, I can't crop the entire image as it keeps telling me i have to make a selection, which I do. I needed to make a basic banner ad which literaly should have had me make it in 20 mins, and its taken me a day.  

What happened.... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure how to help you as your comment seems to consist of a series of unrelated statements.

If you make a separate topic with a description of what you are trying to achieve, step-by-step instructions of what actions you perform and exactly what doesn't work the way you want it to, preferably with screenshots, it may be easier to assist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Apologies Doug, that was an incredibly frustrating comment I put out. I just put all my frustrations into it. I have had a deadline and the simplest things have been so hard to deal with.  I just uninstalled the newest version and went back to an older version.  My biggest frustration is the Artboard.  Every layer has turned into an artboard, and when I save it the outline of the artboard is embedded into my new image.  In addition when I go to merge the layers or flatten them, it won't work.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure this is about Illustrator? Or about Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its illustrator 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post screenshots that include the Layers panel and your artwork.

When does this happen? You save and then reopen and you get this?

Are you sure they are turned into artboards? Or is it clipping masks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I am having a lot of crazy issues too! I am so frustrated because I do work and it crashes and I loose everything. My guides I can't release them...it's making me crazy. I am trying to make patterns.i have two main files...I copied them so I have 6 and changed only the colors. I can't make patterns out of 3 of them...why I do not know. They are identical.  I am trying to finish a job and have wasted soooooooo many hours trying to do simple things that just don't work smoothly anymore.  I sympathize with you! And wish adobe would straighten out these glitches quickly...or offer us all a year of free service! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2024 Aug 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you telll us more about the patterns. How do you change the colors, with Recolor Artwork?

How do you make the patterns, drag and drop to Swatches Panel, the Pattern maker?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2024 Aug 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The patterns are hand designed. The main object however is reflected. Colors are changed manually or with the select same color tool. All colors used have created swatches. It's arbitrary one day I can make a pettern for one and not the other. Then the next day it works for another and not the one I made the day before. I have never had this issue and am very frustrated.  
clearing guides are also a problem because they are not going away. 

to make patterns I select objects go to pattern in meno and select create . From there I edit. But the new problem is even though I have my objects selected the pattern box is empty. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines