• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator 25.4.8, unable to open png files since updating.

Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I updated to the latest version of Illustrator (25.4.8) yesterday that will run on my Mac OS I can no longer open PNG files. If I choose 'open' I can see the files I want but pressing 'open', nothing happens. I've restarted the app and my Mac, no difference. My normal workflow is to screenshot reference images and leave them on my desktop, then just open in Illustrator. Now I have to convert the PNG to a PDF to be able to open it. Any ideas why?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

If you have 25.4.8 try to go back to the previous version 25.4.7

In the CC app, choose Apps, click the 3 dots to the right of Illustrator.

select the Other versions option. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. The latest Illustrator version today is 26.5: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/whats-new.html Please update and check if the issue is fixed.

Marlon Ceballos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

26.4.1 won't run under OS Mojave, I am using to most up to date version for Mojave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try to downgrade to 25.4.7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello johnw86914188,

Sorry to hear about this experience. I hope the suggestions shared by Marliton helped resolve the problem. If not, kindly try resetting Illustrator's preferences by following the steps shared in this article (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/troubleshoot-preference-issues.html) and sharing your observations.
Disclaimer: Please note that resetting preferences will remove all custom settings, and Illustrator will launch with the defaults. You may take a backup of these settings from the location mentioned in the article. 

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That link gives me a page not found error

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2022 Oct 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you find a solution to this? My illustrator forced an update on me today and I'm now having the same issue—no PNG files will open. I've tried digging into the settings—nothing. 

Appreciate any insights you might have for this. 

Erin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2022 Oct 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't found a solution, no, although I've been too busy to really
concentrate on fixing it. My workaround is currently to double click on the
PNG files and save as a PDF. It's inconvenient but only takes a second or
too, then I can open the PDF version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, that's unfortunate. I appreciate your help though! I reverted back to version 25.4.7 and that solved my png issue. It's super frustrating to know these new versions have lost their ability to open png files—a bug for sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EDIT:

Okay, so I tried a different computer using Mojave and it's experiencing the same issue you are experiencing. Interestimgly, when I open 25.4.8 on that machine, I also get an error loading the DWF/DWG filter.. So, yeah, rolling back to 25.4.7 solved both issues.

The problem does not exist on my Big Sur machine, so perhaps it's specific to Mojave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have 25.4.8 try to go back to the previous version 25.4.7

In the CC app, choose Apps, click the 3 dots to the right of Illustrator.

select the Other versions option. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!! This worked for me. I've not had the best experience with applications and OS updates, so I'm not super suprised 😉 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear that helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me too Ton, so thanks for that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear that worked for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My account shows no older versions for Illustrator evn though my Preferences are set not to "remove older versions" I hope someone discovers an alternate option for downloading 25.4.7, since I need to run Mojave for a few other apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2022 Nov 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same exact problem for me too. ugh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @ryanr54145691,

Sorry to hear about this experience and for the late response. This is a known issue in Illustrator 25.4.8.
I would request you update the OS on your computer to install the latest version of Illustrator and share your observations.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't go back, they aren't available for download. If you have a link to 25.4.7 download please share it here. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you reach out to support and do the screen share session they provided/performed a download of the older version and it solved the problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. I did a long session with support and they refused to provide anything older than 26. I explained my situation but they held firm. The claim the older versions "no longer exist". I've requested a phone call with a senior tech. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is frustrating. They provided me v25.0 after they tried to drag and drop a png. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I tried to see if the dowload link for 25.0 they gave me still works and it does not. I think it was specific for my account. Try to reach out to them again. IDK if there are different centers for different times of day but I did the support a weekday evening around 530-600 PM EST. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines