• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CC 2014 interface size too big.

Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2014 Jun 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator CC 2014 interface size too big. There is no option to change it. Bug?

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 08, 2014 Oct 08, 2014

With 18.1 update of Adobe illustrator,  we have added an UI option under preferences > User interface section to either turn off scaling completely or allow users to snap to lower or higher supported scale factor. Since Ai only supports 100%, 150% and 200% scale factors, users can choose to snap to 100% or 150% when his/her OS ui scale is between 100% to 150%. E.g. for 125% users can select lower supported scale factor to snap Ai ui to 100% and higher supported scale factor to snap to 150%. Simi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2014 Nov 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All this doesn't work in version CS5

Here is a hack for CS6

http://surfaceproartist.com/blog/2013/12/11/hack-makes-photoshop-and-illustrator-readable-on-surface...

But most probably won't work in CS5 - they discuss it over there

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2014 Nov 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks so much.

I'm have to take some time to see if it's any help at all for CS5.5

I can't believe adobe can't/won't fix this!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2014 Nov 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Older software most probably won't be updated to newer hardware.

You might need to reduce your Surface's monitor resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2014 Nov 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yikes! what a ripoff! I paid a lot of money for this web premium package!

the monitor resolution isn't really ideal; because you'd have to do it everytime. 

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2014 Dec 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you, it works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 06, 2015 Jan 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You get a gold star- thank you so much. Solved a problem that's kept me working out of CS6 just to avoid CC14.

Thank you!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2015 Jul 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you sanjaykr.  Your work around solved my UI problem with .ai and .indd.  Below copied your instructions if other Windows users upgraded to CC (2015) and experience the same too large interface.

Below are the steps to set his environment variable.

1. Right click on "my computer" icon

2. Click properties,

3. Select Advanced System Settings or Advanced Tab (Based on your OS)

4. Click on the "Environment Variables..." button.

5. Click New... button on System Variables section, You can also set this in User Variables section, if you would like to keep the change limited to current logged in user.

6. In the "New system variable" dialog, enter UI_SCALE_FACTOR in variable name field

7. Enter 1 in the Variable value field

8. Click OK

Relaunch AI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2015 Sep 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOOHOOO SANJAY

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2016 Oct 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect It Worked ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2019 May 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for AI. What would I have to do for this to work for all of my CS6 programs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2014 Jun 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very helpful indeed!! I'm back to 125% with all my favorite other settings and use Sanjay Kumar's workaround to force AI and ID to behave.

Of course, the only good solution is a checkbox in Preferences!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2014 Oct 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

\m/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sanjay you the man!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2014 Jun 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I was having this problem in Windows. I created a new environment variable called "UI_SCALE_FACTOR" with a value of 1, relaunched the app and now it's fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 14, 2014 Jul 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I changed my setting to 124% and it worked like a charm. I don't have the problem on my desktop computer, just my laptop, and it was driving me nuts in Illustrator and InDesign. All back to normal now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 15, 2014 Jul 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the UI Scale works, but rather disappointing that Adobe tries to introduce something new but eventually break the entire freaking thing. UI Scale should be toggle-able man...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2014 Jul 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just not using the CC 2014 versions until this is all sorted out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2014 Sep 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing the Windows scaling causes other problems which of course is only a temporary fix. This is the first real problem I have ever had with Illustrator.  I just have to ignore the giant text cursors as adding the environment variable caused other problem's.  AI is the problem and I am waiting for a fix for this nonsense.  First real nasty problem I have ever had with AI.  Going back previous version. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2014 Oct 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you, but only work's in AI, i have he same problem with Flash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 08, 2014 Oct 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With 18.1 update of Adobe illustrator,  we have added an UI option under preferences > User interface section to either turn off scaling completely or allow users to snap to lower or higher supported scale factor. Since Ai only supports 100%, 150% and 200% scale factors, users can choose to snap to 100% or 150% when his/her OS ui scale is between 100% to 150%. E.g. for 125% users can select lower supported scale factor to snap Ai ui to 100% and higher supported scale factor to snap to 150%. Similarly for OS ui scale 175%, users can snap AI's ui scale to 150% or 200%.

If you have defined the environment variable UI_SCALE_FACTOR=1, Then this preference will not work.

Sanjay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

100% is too small and 150% is too big. How to use in 125%  like before?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2014 Oct 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sheesh, after the update I wasted a load of time trying to find out why everything was massive again! After a while, I came back here, to find Sanjay's explanation. What a ball ache! Right, so now the UI scale factor variable causes the problem and needs to be deleted. Cool.

Despite my unnecessary sarcasm, cheers for the update Sanjay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2014 Dec 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got to whatever program is too big.

EDIT > PREFERENCES > USER INTERFACE (illustrator)/ UI SCALING (indesign) > check the box for scale to lower > restart program

Hope i could help ^^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2014 Dec 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture.JPG click on GUI Performance > select User Interface Tab > Under the check box- "For High PPI Displays, Scale the User Interface > select the radio button- Scale to Lower supported Scale Factors.

Capture1.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines