• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CC 2017 Mac Extremely Slow

Participant ,
Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Per MikeGondek's advice, I am starting my own post.

I have  tried Mike's suggestion for resetting my OOBE & Cloud Cache, and also dumped my preferences. None of those helped.

Opening a simple B&W Illustrator file took 00:01:42 (almost 2 minutes) with Illustrator already up and running. I added the trademark (â„¢) symbol and closed and saved the file. Closing and saving the file took 00:0056 (almost a minute).

Slow Illustrator 1min42sec.png

System stats:

iMac (21.5)

2.9 GHz Intel Core i5

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 1024 MB

Illustrator:

Adobe CC 2017.0.2 Release

Illustrator 21.0.2

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Yes yes yes that helps, what I originally suspected in your case. That error you have from the creative cloud trying to initialize should be your issue, and what we need to focus on resolving.

Restart, go straight to the cloud and quit. Check activity monitor that all Adobe and Adobe cloud are quit, you may need to force quit each Adobe process manually, wish you could select multiple items. Remove the OOBE files. Start the cloud and if you have no errors that Illustrator should work.

You may be a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gavin,

• When did this start, do you still have CC2015 installed and does that work fine?
  • Do you use any other Adobe apps and how well do they function?
  • Did not see an Adobe cloud icon do you have that installed and updated?
  • When you flushed the OOBE, did you indeed quit the Adobe Cloud first?
    Screen Shot 2017-04-27 at 1.01.30 PM.png
  • Does the speed function normally when editing such as adding the â„¢ symbol.
  • Are you on a network, if so are you connecting with AFP or SMB and to a mac or wind server
  • What mac OS are you?
  • What other system software or Illustrator plug ins do you have installed, I recognize a few
    Screen Shot 2017-04-27 at 12.53.36 PM.png

Hang in there, being on the Mac am confident we will get this resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• When did this start, do you still have CC2015 installed and does that work fine?

I believe this started with CC 2017. I still have CC 2015.3, and ran a test between the two. CC 2017 opened my test file in 1:41 and CC 2015 opened the text file in 1:44.

• Do you use any other Adobe apps and how well do they function?

I use InDesign, Photoshop, and Acrobat DC, all of which seem to work fine.

• Did not see an Adobe cloud icon do you have that installed and updated?

Yeah, that pretty much seems to decide on a daily/hourly basis whether it wants to show or not. Opened it up after reading your thread, though, and got this weird message.

Screen Shot 2017-04-27 at 3.55.30 PM.png

• When you flushed the OOBE, did you indeed quit the Adobe Cloud first?

Pretty sure, yes. There was no Creative Cloud icon showing in the status bar, and restarting Illustrator created a new set of those.

• Does the speed function normally when editing such as adding the â„¢ symbol.

Yes, all editing seems normal. Drawing elements, adding/deleting swatches, etc.

• Are you on a network, if so are you connecting with AFP or SMB and to a mac or wind server

Our files are stored on Windows (not my choice), but we access them through AFP. Before we talked IT into that, we were accessing via SMB, and that was unbearable!

• What mac OS are you?

Oops, forgot to mention that detail. Sierra, latest public build.

• What other system software or Illustrator plug ins do you have installed, I recognize a few

No other Illustrator plugins, except a font server: Universal Type Client. As far as System Software, what would you qualify on that. Giving a full list of software we run would be exhausting.

Screen+Shot+2017-04-27+at+12.53.36+PM.png

Left to right: Location (built-in service — probably had maps open sometime today, but that's a rarity), 1Password (password vault), PopChar (glyph chart), Fantastical (natural language alt to Mac's calendar app), Google drive, Dropbox, Hazel (RBA), keychain access (built-in service), Time Machine (built-in service), Bluetooth indicator (for the Magic Mouse 2).

Hope this helps.

Is there a way I can send one of these files and see how long it takes to open on your computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes yes yes that helps, what I originally suspected in your case. That error you have from the creative cloud trying to initialize should be your issue, and what we need to focus on resolving.

Restart, go straight to the cloud and quit. Check activity monitor that all Adobe and Adobe cloud are quit, you may need to force quit each Adobe process manually, wish you could select multiple items. Remove the OOBE files. Start the cloud and if you have no errors that Illustrator should work.

You may be able to avoid the activity monitor if you get a good quit from cloud. That is why I suggest a restart. But all the red icons you need to quit and here are most of them.

Screen Shot 2017-04-27 at 4.58.43 PM.png

It is usually one of the 3 .db files, and you should notice atleast one of them get  smaller after cleansing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool. I'll give that a try. Also, when I finally did get Creative Cloud to come up, it showed an update to Illustrator, so I ran that.

I'll report back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much! I had the same problem and this helped me too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding your instructions for OOBE dump here, should some other poor sap need it later.

RESET CLOUD OOBE

Mac

Quit Illustrator & Creative Cloud (go to cloud icon on top right, click on gear icon, quit)

Mac Finder >> Shift Command G

enter: ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/OOBE

Move your OOBE folder somewhere (eg: desktop)

Windows

Exit Creative Cloud app

remove the opm.db file located here: C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Adobe\OOBE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did the trick! Thanks MikeGondek for sticking with me through this!

Files open in 8.7 seconds

Close and save in 3.5 seconds

Much better!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 29, 2017 Apr 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gavin,

Glad to hear opening and saving is much faster now.

Thankyou for setting an example of how to post on the forums, by listing your operating system, plug-ins and providing good feedback and variables needed to  address your issue.

You may be doing this already, but you can also do a save as and turn OFF pdf compatible for an added speed increase and smaller file sizes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gladly.

Is there a way to just turn off PDF compatible in the settings, rather than having to do a "Save As" every time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There actually is

1. Quit Illustrator
  2. Open the prefs file here in a text editor \Users\mgondek\Library\Preferences\Adobe Illustrator 21 Settings\en_US\Adobe Illustrator Prefs
  3. Find this line of code and change the 1 to a zero

Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 8.42.09 AM.png

This will hold until the next timer you reset your prefs, and will work on new files you create. Existing files you will need to do a saves as to turn that off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 8.55.43 AM.png

Weirdly, no such setting in mine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My screenshot earlier was from 2015, I tried in 2017 and found also.

Try searching for the word Compatibility. If does tho show up, then I guess you could back up your prefs and try adding the line as shown in my screenshot. You could always go back if something drastically goes wrong, or reset your prefs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, back to 2 minutes to open a file and 1 minute to save. So, apparently the dumping of the OOBE folder was not a permanent solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>.<

How is your creative cloud app doing, any error messages or updates running background? Might your account have been installed on more than 2 computers? Are you syncing libraries or fonts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weirdly, CC did not start up with the computer startup, even though individual apps did. So, I turn off "Launch at Login," quit CC, then started it again manually, and turned "Launch at Login." I then logged out, and logged back in and now it starts up with login.

Only installed on 1 computer, although we have a site license, and we don't use CC libraries or fonts. We use a Universal Type Server, from Extensis. Checked for updates, too, and there are none.

Just checking and I see that CC has turned font and file syncing back on in preferences, so I have turned those back on again. Maybe that will help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for kicks, since I was doing a ton of vector logos last night, and pulling my hair out all along the way, because of the slowness — I went through all steps in this post again, carefully and in order, leaving out nothing. It still did not solve the slowness, and Adobe Creative Cloud still decides on it's own when if wants to start with computer boot. I still get the "longer than usual to initialize" message, and even tried uninstalling and reinstalling the whole thing.

Nothing has helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hate to recommend the long way to fix a problem, but if you have good internet speed will not take too long.

Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

That may hopefully get your cloud to boot itself normally and resolve all this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I'm about ready to try anything right now, up to and including wheeling this workstation out into the middle of the street in front of a Mack truck. 😉

Giving the CCCT a try now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May the Creative Cloud force be with you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 23, 2017 Jun 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ran this, and uninstalled EVERYTHING, including the individual programs and the CC program itself. Walked through the whole process, step by step. Finally got everything reinstalled this morning, only to find that nothing was solved. Still 2 minute to open a file, and 1 minute to save.

Pretty frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2017 Jun 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a new file a draw a rectangle, does that happen to that file? A nested symbol, or  overlapping masks & paths which serve no purpose or the deleted global colors problem,  could drive postscript into loop of madness. Just want to rule out 100% that this is not something in the file.

I believe the cleaner flushes the OOBE, but you had success with that in the past so you could try that again. I have done the OOBE flush on dozens of machines to resolve issues, and they have never needed a second flush in such a short amount of time. At post 6 you were doing great so would recommend to quit cloud and try OOBE flush again.

A main symptom was that your cloud app was not acting normally, so any progress on how that is functioning would be helpful.

Have not yet heard that something outside of Adobe can conflict with you adobe cloud. Have never used hazel (is at at the cleaning utility)  or could possibly be google cloud be conflicting?

@ohmath could use your help on this and this post might be of interest to the adobe team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 26, 2017 Jun 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried the OOBE flush again, with no luck.

The simple new file with plain rectangle took 02:26:46 to save. And it took 01:28:36 to reopen.

Hazel is an Automator GUI (basically). Quitting it did nothing to help the time.

Re: Google Cloud or Dropbox. I tried turning them off, and still no love.

Re: the main Creative Cloud app, I completely uninstalled EVERYTHING, and reinstalled. And it still doesn't come up at launch. Launched manually, it still comes up with the "Creative Cloud seems to be taking longer than normal to initialize" error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would say the cloud is what is causing you Illustrator to be slow.

Adobe Creative Cloud desktop app doesn't open or shows a spinning progress wheel

But we have done all this, so we may be onto a new twist that needs to be added to this technote. Will try to send a private message to someone at Adobe, as they can log into your computer with you permisson which should help resolve this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

When CC finally came up, I changed it's preferences to NOT open at login. Then quit. Then restarted the app and changed preferences again to open at login. Quit the app and restarted the app, just to check that the preference held.

Then I rebooted the computer, and CC came up just fine. Saving the simple rectangle took 01:30:16, but opening it was around 00:12:20. making a simple change to it and saving it was 0:25:57. Much better, except that initial save.

I'm going to reboot again, and make sure those hold and that CC still boots up on it's on at login, and will report back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines