• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CC 2019 Document window size on open

Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2019 Jun 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking into this again. I cannot possibly be the only one on the planet experiencing this.

Anyone have any issues with their document window opening in a narrow strip? Always narrow width full height.

Every document. Every time.

Multiple documents stack inside this narrow window.

Documents set to open in tabs.

Same regardless if Illustrator is opened first or opens with document.

Documents on external drives and local machine.

Like so:

Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 8.38.34 AM.jpg

2016 MacBook Pro 15-inch 16 GB RAM

Mid-2015 MacBook Pro Retina 15-inch 16 GB RAM

MacOS Mojave (current)

Mac Illustrator CC 2019 (current)

Application Frame turned off. (with frame turned on things work differently... fine)

Both built in display and 32-inch 4k.

Only started this when I upgraded to 2019.

Clicking here expands the window too it's original, correct size.

Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 8.38.57 AM.jpg

Reset preferences.

Uninstalled Illustrator and files. Caches, etc.

Reset workspaces. Changed Workspaces.

Happens on both of my machines. I do not run any third-party plugins or extensions, so all is basically stock across machines.

Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2019 Jun 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you need to turn on the Application Frame to retain the window positions. I don't think there's another way. This also happens in InDesign CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tanks Steve, great advice.

However it's wrong. (not when all is working properly)

Use InDesign every day, have never seen it happen. I have InDesign and Photoshop as well set up essentilaly the same as I do Illustrator.

Illustrator is the only one that opens documents without fully expanding the document window.

I have been sitting, waiting to do a full clean install of MacOS Catalina and reinstall all of Adobe CC. Perhaps it is on my end.

It wasn't. Again. Two separate Macs, both clean installs of Catalina, both clean installs of Adobe CC. No third-party plugins. Local and externally stored documents. Native or EPS, PDF, etc. Palette windows docked to sides.

Took a couple of days or so for the behavior to return, but it did.

Yes, with application frame turned off. Do not want it turned on. Do not work that way. There were no issues before application frames were introduced and none when it first appesred.

Not one other Illustrator user on this planet has this happen?

This is annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, and yes, i agree that it's very annoying. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 09.41.40 am.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happens to me too, constantly. it's infuriating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me..  Crazy annoying. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody. Another year passed. Here it is 2021 about to end. I got a shiny new version of Illustrator... 2022... version 26... I couldn't find another number to put with it so we will just have to deal 2021 2022 v26.

I also have it running on the fancy new MacOS 12 Monterey. Awesome cool!

So, eager to see life with the fixed document window opening to its full width and not in that annoying, narrow little strip that has been going on for 2-3 years.

Guess what... it's like living the same damn year over and over again. Bill Murray style.

Every time I open a document the initial open state of that document window (multiple documents in tabs as well) will be this narrow little strip. Maybe 150 pixels or so wide.

Well done Adobe. I am looking so forward to using that new sharing feature to let my colleagues check out the art in their narrow little window too.

FYI... this year I did figure out that it has to do with what the width of the document window is when saved. Anything narrower than around 3200 pixels or so and the document will reopen to that width each time. Once you drag the window width out wider to 3250-something and save... boom... that document will reopen in the narrow little strip document window. I have been able to replicate this on any Mac I try.

Spent 2 weeks trying to explain this to adobe "engineers" and finally got, "we are done with this, move along".

Anyway, I need to go pay this months Adobe bill now.

Until next year. Be cool.

D.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. That thing is still opening documents in narrow window. Wildly annoying. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an all new year. 2022!

Have two new Macs. M1's with fresh new OS installs. Yay.

New, clean install of Adobe CC. All up to date.

Newest version of Illustrator 2022 version 26... like that's not confusing.

Even got a new credit card to pay the Adobe CC monthly subscription with.

Everything's new except the same old problem with Illustrator and its inability to open a god dmn window corectly.

However, did not get the new covid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have this crazy annoying thing too.

When you save an illustrator file, the window position and size is stored within that file, correct?

Is there no way to overwrite that somehow and just open all files in Illustrator in fully expanded window?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines