• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

illustrator cc 2020 Arabic Text direction!

New Here ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! 

In the new update of the New illustrator cc 2020 versions, the Text Direction feature been removed, that supports the Arabic language! any idea's on how to activate this feature?

Having said that it's still working in the 2019 version. Text Direction feature is quite helpful when writing in both English and Arabic text in the same paragraph. 

llustrator cc 2020 versions, the Text Direction feature been removed.jpg

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

@stacied69718486 

Apparently, you don't have the Middle Eastern features in the current version, it seems that for some users, during the update process, an English version is downloaded not the English يدعم العربية that supports Arabic.

Anyhow, please follow the below steps if you want to remove existing copy of Illustrator from your machine and download a fresh one with Arabic support…

1.jpg

1. From the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop menu, click on All Apps to view a list of installed Adobe application

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Dear Waseem, 

In order to be 100% sure you downloaded Middle Eastern copy of Illustrato, please check the Type Tool in your tools panel, do you see the "Right-to-Left type tool"?

Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 4.17.08 PM.png

If not, then you missed an installation step somewhere and my advise to you is that you uninstall current Illustrator, and make sure to remove existing Preferences when it ask you, then make sure the Language in your Creative Cloud application is English يدعم العربية. then Re-install Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is still there in 2020, as you said, this feature is a vital feature for RTL.

Apparently, when you downloaded Illustrator 2020, you missed the language setting. All you need is simply uninstall Illustrator 2020, then change the language to "English يدعم العربية" and re-install a new copy of the latest Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 29, 2020 Feb 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Zaid you were absolutely right mate appreciate your help and support. problem solved. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, you mean that in order to use any type of RTL text in my compositions, I HAVE TO install Illustrator in English-Arabic ?

Sorry but that doesn't make any sense at all.

I don't want to have Illustrator interface in English or Arabic, i only want to be able to use RTL texts.

Proper (awfully complex) solution is :

1. Go to Edit > Preferences > Type
  2. Check "Show Indic Options", then validate
  3. Select your text, then in Paragraph panel, in the dropdown menu, select "Middle-Eastern and South Asian Composer" (Single or Multiple Line depending on your need)
  4. Create a new paragraph style, and in its options, Advanced character format, select your RTL language (e.g. Arabic)
  5. Apply that Paragraph style to your text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2020 Jun 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution you posted works well for a minor job of Arabic or any RTL language if however, you want full control on RTL for a newspaper, magazine, or a book perhaps, I would strongly recommend that you install another copy of Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator that Adobe providing specifically under "English يدعم العربية"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I thought so.

Sorry but again, that doesn't make any sense to install a completely different version of the software, just to type in another language type.

I mean, even Microsoft Word can do it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 11, 2020 Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will be very nice to have a "One fits all" InDesign copy that supports all Languages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign does support use in all Languages. You just have to enable the setting. Otherwise, your Arabic letters will write like English letters and they won't connect. If you enable the proper setting, then they work just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear djibsho your solution is very interesting. Your observation is correct. I don't understand why you can't use the same features on the suite in your own language. I hope this problem is solved in the next updates. I updated version 25.1 just yesterday but it hasn't been implemented yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In ogni caso ci sono ancora problemi anche con il suggerimenti di djibsho.

Qui di seguito l'esempio di un testo in arabo impaginato con AI (il primo) e ID (il secondo).

Come si può vedere il punto viene impaginato all'inizio della frase (a destra) invece dovrebbe essere alla fine della frase (a sinistra) come si vede sull'esempio di ID.Schermata 2021-02-06 alle 11.56.28.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In any case there are still problems with the djibsho suggestions as well. Below is an example of an Arabic text paginated with AI (the first) and ID (the second). As you can see, the point is paginated at the beginning of the sentence (right) instead it should be at the end of the sentence (left) as seen on the example of ID.

Schermata 2021-02-06 alle 11.56.28.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You definitely need Middle Eastern version to handle Arabic well as the ME will give you more Right-to-Left text controls.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked, thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Zaid, i'm having this problem too, can't change the Arabic text direction in Ai 2020, also can't find the text direction feature. 

Did you mean to solve is to uninstall the Ai, then change the computre system language to English-Arabic? Or install the Ai again in English-Arabic?

I installed the Ai through Creative Cloud, and it doesn't even give me any option about language...

Any suggestion? T_T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, never mind, problem solved... I found the RLT option in Paragraph Style panel. Thanks anyway!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ada Hong, I have the same problem. I'm using the 2021 version I have read so many forums about this. Can you tell me how did you manage it? Because on Paragraph Style option also is not there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Al Salam Alaykum. I've been using a font named "aref ruqaa" for over a year and a half. I bought a new laptop and installed illustrator and tried using it, but it gives me seperate letter; like ب ح ب ك. Do you have any idea on how to fix that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@MissBee.Eg 

هنالك احتمالية ان يكون نسخة الستريتور التي ثبتيها على الجهاز ليست داعمة للعربية وعندها عليكِ اتباع الخطوات الستة الموضحة في ادنى هذه الصفحة وبينت فيها كيفية ازالة النسخة  المثبتة على الجهاز، وتغيير اللغة وبعدها يتم تثبيت نسخة الستريتور داعمة للعربية

أما إذا كانت النسخة المثبتة على جهازكِ داعمة للعربية فما عليك سوى اظهار لوح 

Paragraph

ومن القائمة المنبثقة في اللوح اختاري احد الخيارين

Middle Eastern Single-line Composer

او 

Middle Eastern Every-line Composer

Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 1.12.09 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2022 Oct 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks alot bro 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a problem with my new 2021 Illustrator update and not being able to write in Arabic and English correctly. Is anyone having issues or can someone help walk me through this? Iv tried re installing a brand new Illustrator 2021 - Verison 25.0. I have packaging and user manuals to write.  @Zaid Al Hilali - do you maybe have any solutions? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@stacied69718486 

Apparently, you don't have the Middle Eastern features in the current version, it seems that for some users, during the update process, an English version is downloaded not the English يدعم العربية that supports Arabic.

Anyhow, please follow the below steps if you want to remove existing copy of Illustrator from your machine and download a fresh one with Arabic support…

1.jpg

1. From the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop menu, click on All Apps to view a list of installed Adobe applications
  2. Click the three ellipses shown beside each installed application
  3. Choose Uninstall to remove the non-Arabic application
  4. Once ALL installed applications have been uninstalled/removed, click on the “Account” icon found on the top right-corner of the Creative Cloud desktop application and choose “Preferences”
  5. In the newly opened Preferences dialogue window, click on “Apps” in the left pane
  6. Scroll down to the bottom of the window, from the “Default install Language” drop menu choose English يدعم العربية in order to have Arabic support in Adobe applications, then click the “Done” button.

2.jpg

Now you may proceed to install Adobe applications once again.

Alternatively, you may download another copy of Illustrator that supports Arabic besides the existing copy…

Follow steps 4,5, & 6 as in above to change the language for the application(s) you're going to install now, then

1. Click on the three ellipses on the right most of the Illustrator application

2. Choose "Other versions"

1_install-older-version.jpg

3. From the small pop up window, choose an older copy of Illustrator since you cannot have two copies of the same version,

2_install-older-version.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Zaid Al Hilali THANK YOU SO SO MUCH!!!!!! I followed everything and it worked perfectly for me now. I did have to downgrade, but to get it to work, I'm 100% fine with that.  You're a complete lifesaver on this! Thank you so much for your quick response and help! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version did you install in order to get Arabic for Illustrator and InDesign? I'm facing the same problem with the 2021 upgrade, and I've followed Zaid's steps, but I'm unsure which older version supports Arabic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

مرحبا يارا

ليس بالضرورة تثبيت اصدار قديم لتحصلي على دعم اللغة العربية، فقط اتبعي الخطوات التي سردتها اعلاه من 1 لغاية 6 وسيكون لديك اخر اصدار لبرامج ادوبي داعماً للعربية

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2020 Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

God Bless you brother 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines