• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator Changing CMYK Values

Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I'm setting up artwork for t-shirt separations. I have to use absolute CMYK values to print the separartions accurately, i.e. 100% Black, 50% Yellow, 25% Cyan to match the halftones and color combinations I need to make out spot ink colors.

The issue I'm having is converting an object to my CMYK tones. It is a complex object, made with several layers and a gradient mesh. I set one color to 100% Cyan, and it changes to 69% Cyan and 14% Yellow the next time I check it. From 100%Magenta and 100% Black, it goes to 57, 75, 68, 82.

I am using the "Recolor Artwork" tool.

I have changed my Document Set Up to CMYK and have tried copying it into a completely new document already set to CMYK. Typing in the values or selecting them from the swatches has no effect.

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , May 03, 2024 May 03, 2024

Wish I could upload here the 'THANK YOU!' gif of Steve Carell from The Office.

This finally worked. The key for me was to create a Spot Color of the CMYK values I needed. 

The kludgyness and layers of AI's color profiles, workspaces, headspaces, et al was giving me a spatial headache. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And thank you this will be the last time I post so you needn't worry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2022 Jul 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was having same problem... however, when editing colors in this area, they worked and stopped converting. Screen Shot 2022-07-30 at 12.25.06 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 03, 2024 May 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wish I could upload here the 'THANK YOU!' gif of Steve Carell from The Office.

This finally worked. The key for me was to create a Spot Color of the CMYK values I needed. 

The kludgyness and layers of AI's color profiles, workspaces, headspaces, et al was giving me a spatial headache. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this issue and can't get a solution. I've been using illustrator since 88...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this issue and can't get a solution. I've been using illustrator since 88...

By @Eric1674

Please describe your issue. This is a long thread and there might be several issues described in it. Also: which version and which system are you using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just thought I'd share my issues on a similar subject too, when setting up a simple block object / icon with a shade of colour / grey, for example, C0 M0 Y0 K93, I would then re open the colour pallette to check the colour of the selected object and it would erratically change to something (cant remember the exact values) but the CMYK would all be different numbers. (Document is definitely set up in CMYK not RGB) I found that if i then change the object to something like C0 M0 Y0 K100, then back to C0 M0 Y0 K93, it would then hold its true value of the 93K. Very strange, must be a glitch in Illustrator! Thought I would share for anyone else experiencing same issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2023 Jul 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't find a solution to the same problem in this thread (which might be because I didn't see it), but I found another forum that explained that it's all about the setting of the original document. It seems pretty simple, though it doesn't help fix the problem in the document you're woking in becasue it can't be fixed. But a way round it is to open a new a new document with CMYK set at the very start and then paste the content from the problematic document into the new CMYK document. Then re-spec the colours as CMYK (again), for example 60C. This time when you check, the colour will stll be 60C insteaed having changed to a combination of CMYK. This might be an issue when you're using a document as the basis of other docuemnst, i.e. 'save as' (as I do alot) as you simply take the settings of the original with you and you can't change them once set. https://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/16512/how-to-prepare-a-design-for-cmyk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2023 Jul 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@defaultgyqoc6r3sih9  schrieb:

though it doesn't help fix the problem in the document you're woking in becasue it can't be fixed. 

So what makes you think that color in a document cannot be fixed?

Not talking about a corrupted document here, but color that cannot be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2023 Sep 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works for me -- thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines