Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator crashes in Mac OS 11 Big Sur

Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I installed Big Sur in my laptop to test all of my programs first and I can't get Illustrator 2021 to open. I get the splash screen and it just sits there. I don't have any issues with InDesign or Photoshop. Anyone else having this issue? 

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Hi all,

Sorry about this trouble. There could be multiple reasons why the application would crash. I would request if you could try the steps mentioned on this page (https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/how-to-fix-a-crash-and-recover-documents-in-illustrator/td-p/11434061?page=1) and share your observations with us. 

You may also try to remove the folder "com.adobe.illustrator" from ~/library/caches, restart your mac and let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it get better when you disconnect from the internet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does not. I disconnected from wifi and went to open and I get the same result. Just say "initializing...." and spinning beach ball.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experiencing the same issue.  It was working right after the update last night but when launching this morning it failed to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And mine has never worked. I mean Illustrator 2021 works on my main mac running Catalina, but no good on Big Sur. It's my main program so no upgrade for me until issue is resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Contacted suport through Chat and they were able to help resolve the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What did they do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was permission issues with Big Sur and Illustrator.  Now it works perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What was the permission issue? How did you fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I reached out via chat with Adobe and for me it was my Wacom tablet driver causing an issue. Uninstall the tablet driver and Illustrator, then reinstall Illustrator and then the tablet driver. Illustrator opens now. But of course, my tablet has issues now. But thats Wacom for you! Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Latest update...I have reached out to Wacom and they helped me fix it. So I will keep testing on my macbook for a few days to see if everything stays working. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What was the permission issue??  Tell us so others might be able to fix it as well??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe say not to jump yet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I have no intention until everything works, thats why I test on my macbook first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do they have any idea how long it will be until it is compatible? I upgrade my imac without even thinking about it last night and if I have multiple jobs open illustrator just crashes when I try to save a file. It is fine if I have one or two open but its a pain keeping track of jobs that need done but arent open

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's usually wise to wait a couple of months. This pain happens on every.single.OS.upgrade and is largely avoidable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree about waiting, but in all honesty, its been a while since I personally have had as many issues with an OS release in a while. Its a shame because the UI is really nice. All we can do is report our issues so they can be fixed as quickly as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry just switched over to mac recently and this is the first OS upgrade I have done so kinda why I was asking.the.question

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, if you're used to Windows this is a very different ball game. Apple make money by forcing upgrades of other apps, so they move forward and block old apps very often, while Microsoft still run many 25 year old apps happily. Catalina blocked all apps older than 2019. Apple have said they will do it again in a couple of years to complete the switch to "M1" Macs. So expect serious issues with new OS upgrades, and plan them carefully. Always wait a while, and if this is a business machine with deadlines or for making money, run on a test system first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate it. I still have my macbook and another imac so I am still good to go its just a pain since I decided to do the upgrade on my main imac. I will just thave to make due with the others for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally understand how you feel, I learned the hard way as well many years ago about testing my software on another computer before updating my main one. Hopefully they figure this stuff out. It really is the worst one I have experienced. I typically had to wait for my unusual programs to be ready, not that they were ready but apple wasn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It isn't opening at all for me either. Is there a resolution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reach out to Adobe via chat.  One trick that seems to work for me: go to user/library/caches and remove the folder "com.adobe.illustrator", restart your mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this worked!!! Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

removing "com.adobe.illustraor" worked for me too!! Yay! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines