• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator crashes when I try to move an object with the selection tool

Explorer ,
May 24, 2013 May 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem occurs in a new or existing document. I have tried all the solutions I can think of.

1. Reinstalled AI

2. Deleted the prefernces. This worked temporarily, and inevitably AI crashes and the problem reoccurs.

3. Disabled my wireless mouse.

I have a similar problem in InDesign. However, InDesign won't crash.

This is a serious flaw, and its driving me nuts. The only thing I can think is that my software is bad, or Illustrator CS6 is very unstable.

Any one have a different work around besides what I mentioned above?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Dec 15, 2014 Dec 15, 2014

Hey all - This is Laurel from Pushbullet.

We ran into the same issue, and were able to solve the problem on our systems just by restarting.

Many of our users that have emailed in have found that disabling Universal Copy & Paste solves the problem for them.

Something in the way that Chrome manages the copy / paste feature seems to be throwing some people's Adobe programs for a loop.

Sorry about all this. Definitely let us know what works and what doesn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you any system plugin installed to enhace your mouse behaviour?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't installed an system plugins to enhance my mouse behaviour.

I'm running CS 6 on a Mac Pro, Mountain Lion 10.8.3.

Here's a scenario for how it crashes. This is repeatable everytime:

1. Open a new file

2. Create an object (square for example, but it can literally be any object, as it does it with type as well). 

3. Choose the selection tool.

4. Attempt to move the object.

5. Illustrator crashes. 

I can delete my preferences and restart my machine and Illustrator will work normally again. But, after working with it for awhile Illustrator will crash again (not sure the exact scenarios for when it crashes in the his case), and then the cycle starts over again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2013 Aug 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have either the same exact problem or one very similar to jmaster808's problem.

This too is repeatable without fail every time. My application is rendered useless and has been for a month!

Problem:

1. Open a new or existing file
  2. With the selection tool, Mouse Click Down on any object
  3. Attempt to move the object anywhere
  4. On Mouse Up or Release the blue outline of the object shape freezes in place, the actual object remains unmoved, and the app appears to freeze. It doesn't actually crash. Nothing at this point is selectable. The mouse cursor moves but does nothing. Hitting escape numerous times seems to dump the "move" actions previously attempted and the ability to select other objects, tools, menus, etc, returns and you are left back at where you started.

Note:

1. If one selects the object but does not attempt to move it with the mouse or trackpad, you CAN move the object with the arrow keys (shift modifier applied too).
  2. All other tools appear to function normal, such as changing an objects color or applying effects.

Specs:

• MacBook Pro
  • OS X 10.7.5
  • Adobe Illustrator CS6

Question:

1. Has anyone else experienced this and found a reliable solution/remedy?
  2. @jmaster808, What preferences are you deleting to regain functionality, albeit temporarily?
  3. @Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 15, 2013 Aug 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jklmrl wrote:

1. Has anyone else experienced this and found a reliable solution/remedy?

Obviously not. Otherwise this thread would be longer. But there are indeed problems related to the trackpad and some kinds of mice.

You didn't provide any information about your mouse? Do you use any or just the trackpad? Did you plug in a different mouse?

Have you tried the usual suspects? Rebuild preferences, new user account?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2013 Aug 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: I attempted to clear the preferences according to instructions found on other threads, one being to launch the application while holding shift+option+cmd, which apparently is supposed to clear or refresh the preferences. This resulted in the app crashing before fully launching. It then crashed on every attempt to launch thereafter. Long story short, I could not get Ai to open.  I then uninstalled/reinstalled Ai to no avail. Then I did the same for the entire creative suite in addition to using the CS Cleaner Tool. While it was installing, I decided to clean up my dock by removing app icons and I encountered similar problems to what I was experiencing within Ai, in that I couldn't release on a drag-drop attempt. This led me to search forums and apple support and eventually landing here: http://bkbeachlabs.com/blog/mac-cursor-drag-and-drop-wont-release-fixed/.  I simply closed the MBP, reopened, and functionality was restored, when reboot after reboot wouldn't. By now CS6 had finished installing and when I launched Ai, all was well again. Not sure if it was the fresh install, or closing the laptop lid and then reopening, or a combination of both. Perhaps it was all luck. Thought I would share since I've been trying to fix this for a couple weeks now.

@Monika: Thanks for the reply. I did note that it had issues using the trackpad and a mouse (tried 3 different mice to be more precise). Did not try a new user account. Tried the preferences as referenced above. Thanks for the suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2013 Sep 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what do do if it's a imac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 08, 2013 Sep 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same solution of deleting your preferences and cache for the Illustrator files should apply.

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We had the same problem last week and I discovered on another thread a suggestion to try opening Tahoma & Verdana Fonts. Amazingly it worked a treat, been a week now and haven't had a crash since! Hope it works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, you by open do mean having them active in the file you're working on (not necessarily using them)? They are both system fonts, so they should be active all the time.

Thanks!

J

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These fonts sit in my system fonts (in suitcase fusion 5) however they do not show up as active. I activated them and hey pronto everything was good again. We had just installed office for mac prior to having this issue and wonder whether this did something to our font setup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very interesting. My problems have been going on for months, and I never made the connection to office. I got a new machine and installed a plethora of new software. I'll give this a try! I had a Tahoma TT and an open type, activated both of them. My Verdana was already activated. Hope it works! Thanks again!

-J

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to provide exact system information and crash details:

Working with your Operating System’s Tools

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2014 Aug 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I know the solution to the problem (for me anyway)!

I have been plagued by this CC problem for months. I even bought a new machine because of the stress it caused me, and not to mention the lost work hours!!!! But since buying the new machine and having it happen again, and again and again, which has lead me rule out all font, software, plugin conflicts, because there is nothing on my machine that was on the old one. All of my old files are on an external hard drive and I have had illustrator crash several times with the hard drive ejected.  This is what leads me to think (in my case at least) that the machine/files/plugins are not the problem.

CC membership allows you to run the Adobe applications on 2 machines, in most people's cases that's home and office. I have two machines one for work with one set of preferences that my CC account was made with, and another machine at home that is a shared and has an entirely different set of preferences. When an Illustrator file is left open on my work machine with a long period of inactivity (e.g. over a weekend) illustrator on my home machine crashes constantly (as soon as I try to move an object it crashes). As soon as Illustrator is closed down on my work machine, Illustrator on my home machine is then fine! And then both machines will run Illustrator CC again simultaneously until the work machine is left for another long period of inactivity (a couple of days) then, when it is, my home machine crashes again.

I noticed that each time Illustrator asked me to send a crash report to Adobe, it would use the email from the preferences on my home machine, not the preferences on my work machine (which is the email that the CC account is registered with). It could be that leaving Illustrator CC open and inactive for a couple of days causes some kind of 'time out' period on the account.

This could explain why Illustrator CC would work again on my home machine (briefly) when trashing the preferences.

So to re-cap I have solved my seemingly inexplicable problem by making sure that Illustrator CC is not left open for long periods of inactivity (2 days seems to be the threshold) on one machine, if the account is being shared across two machines.

Please let me know if this A. makes sense and B. helps anyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 04, 2014 Aug 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that makes sense. I’m glad that one worked for you! I’m running CS6 and I only have it installed on one machine. I’ve tried CC, and the same thing happened. After going back and forth with Adobe for a year, they finally determined that it is a bug. They are working on it, but there is no timeline of course!

I hope your Illustrator prospers from here on out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2014 Aug 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How frustrating. My Illustrator just began crashing in this way last night.  I have nothing to add RE: a fix but wanted to inform the community that I do not share across 2 computers, have kept it running for more then two days without consequence several times in the past and do not own Office. 

My issues began doing the same tasks I have been doing for years.  I hope the problem gets figured out soon I will be monitoring this forum closely.

Respectfully, Stephanie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2014 Sep 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been plaguing me for months now on both illustrator and indesign. I have called mac. I have called Adobe. Both blame the other.  I have changed my mouse, I have uninstalled and reinstalled, I have bought a brand new computer!!! Here is what I have found to work ... for a while. Create a new user in your Account. Make them an admin and then use your programs in there. Pain in the a$$, but it works. Then one day it fails again. I have had to resort to keeping all my files and fonts online so that I can drop everything back in everytime I have to create a new user. It sucks, but at least I can do my work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 03, 2014 Sep 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been down this exact path for over 1.5 years. I emailed adobe my crash reports everyday, everytime it happened (1-3x a day). I also spoke with them regularly and finally they admitted to it being a bug. So there is no resolution. They say they're working on it.

I delete my ai and indd cache and preferences after it happens, then restart my computer.

I've been using my transform tool instead of the move tool to avoid crashes.

This version of ai really sucks. I also tried the new cc version and it acts the same.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2014 Sep 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had CC for just over a month now, brand new iMac, brand new Magic Mouse and just now Illustrator crashes every time I try to drag an item with Magic Mouse. It has crashed on me about five times now. Its super annoying! I do have my laptop open as well with my CC Illustrator open. I just closed it and we will see what happens. I'm going to lunch now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to your library and delete your illustrator cache and illustrator preferences. The restart your computer. This will get your illustrator to run again.

However, you’ll have to keep doing it after it crashes.

It’s a bug that they are apparently working on. We’ll see…. I’ve had the same problem for 1.5 years!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where can I find that folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your library go to your finder then go then hold down your alt key and library will appear. You’ll have to look in the adobe folder in both the cache and preferences. Delete all instances of the Illustrator file you see, otherwise it will keep crashing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you sooo much!! This has been plaguing me. I have created 8 new user accounts to keep illustrator working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the Go menu in the finder use Go to Folder and type in ~/Library to access the hidden folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have deleted the illustrator cache and preferences, all instances I could find and it's still crashing. Where on earth could other instances be hiding??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines