Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator Creating many PNG and TMP files

Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2022 Aug 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We have been using Illustrator latest version in a Windows 10 pro 32GB Ram with SSD desktop PC.

Since recently, while we work on many .PNG files and PNG.TMP$$$ types files are created inside the working folder. PNGs are created as 1.PNG, 2.PNG....211.PNG and within same folder 1.PNG.TMP$$$, 2.PNG.TMP$$$.....211.PNG.TMP$$$ likewise around 400 files are appearing. What could be the cause of this?

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is that working folder? On a network drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it happens in both locations, network and local drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2022 Nov 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me.

Adobe team...Is there a solution please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Sabsab59,

Thanks for reaching out. This generally happens when working through a network drive or server, or it can happen in some instances when importing/exporting SVG, which is an expected behavior.

Would you mind turning off/ unchecking the following settings (screenshot attached) in Illustrator preferences and see if that helps:

Anshul_Saini_0-1669388383362.png

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK...I'll try. thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Anshul, this has not solved the issue for me. Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Larisa5CD0 Stop saving directly to a file share service or external site. If you have local and copy over or at minimum turn off syncing while working the files will auto cleanup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Larisa5CD0,

Thanks for trying that. As Kevin suggested, would you mind working offline and seeing if that helps? Also, if you are using any online drives like Dropbox, OndeDrive, etc., then would you mind checking if turning off/pausing automatic sync while working on Illustrator files directly from there helps or not?

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, yep, I also tried working offline (local on my computer/no online drives/no automatic sync turned on) and still continues to create empty folders and .tmp files. I now have like 700+ such files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for confirming that, @Larisa5CD0. Would you mind confirming if you are using SVG files containing images in Illustrator? Also, would you mind sharing a small screen recording demonstrating the issue? It would be really helpful.

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Anshul. Thank you for your patience and trying to help. I'd be glad to screen record the issue, but I didnt figure it out when the issue appears. I tried now working on different AI, EPS and SVG files and everything worked well (though earlier today happened to have tens of empty folders and temp files when I worked in the same documents).

So, still no helping clue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Larisa5CD0,

Thanks for sharing your observation. Would you mind sharing a sample file, including the linked files, with us here or via DM with me and a small screen recording of your workflow demonstrating the issue? It would be really helpful for us to reproduce the issue on our end.

Also, would you mind confirming if you are using any plugin/ extension (e.g., Pantone connect plugin)?

Thanks,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anshul. As  Larisa5CD0, I followed the preference's settings U sent us and worked offline (local on my computer/no online drives). But it didn't solved the problem. Unlike Larisa, it doesn't create hundreds of those files on my side but it still matters cos even if they are fewer, it's difficult to find out when and where they appears. Fortunately I noticed this morning that 2 of those files appeared while I was working on an Illustrator's file. I only opened it, changed few colors of my artwork, copy / paste on a google slide doc. I closed my file without saving it or exporting anything from it. Then I find out those TMP and PNG files appeared.

Hope it will help U to solve this problem. Thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 27, 2022 Dec 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Sabsab59,

Thanks for sharing your observation. This is not reproducible on our end. Would you mind sharing a sample file, including the linked files, with me via DM and a small screen recording of your workflow demonstrating the issue? It would be really helpful for us to replicate the same behavior on our end.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2023 Jan 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anshul.

First, i wish u a happy new year.

For your request, i'm sorry but it is a professionnal file and my company's internal regulation doesn't allow me to share this kind of informations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for getting back to me, @Sabsab59. I totally understand that. Would you mind creating a new non-official sample file and checking if the issue is replicable or not? If yes, please share the details asked above. It will help us replicate the same behavior, and we can investigate it further.

Thanks,

Anshul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Big rush on my side...ok...i'll try to make it asap. thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure. I will be looking forward to it @Sabsab59.

- Anshul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, did you solve the problem? I have the same thing suddenly and I don't work on a server either. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anshul.

I've tried to replicable the problem on a personal file (working exactly the same way than on professional file switching between online and offline process, at work or at work) but as it's a random problem, il doesn't appear on the special file i made to test it. Unfortunatelly, it still appears  on random professionnal files i can't share with u...sorry:( Any news on your side? I'll keep trying to reproduce it on personnal file but still rush on my side. Thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Sabsab59 @Yvonne5C80,

Thanks for reaching out again and sharing your concerns about Illustrator creating PNG and TMP files. I understand that this can be frustrating and disruptive to your work process.

Based on the information you've provided, it's difficult to determine the exact cause of this issue. However, as I mentioned earlier, it could be related to Illustrator's autosave feature, which is designed to protect your work in progress.

I tried to replicate this behavior on my end, but I have not been able to do so as of now. I understand that the issue is happening randomly for you, which can make it challenging to identify the root cause.

If the problem occurs again, I would recommend that you connect with our technical support team (https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?rghtup=autoOpen). They will be able to perform remote troubleshooting and collect relevant info to investigate the issue further.

If you have any further questions or concerns or face any difficulties contacting them, please do not hesitate to reach out to me.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anshul

Please find enclosed a file occuring the same problem + screenshot of my workflow (not sure it is what you needed?).

I was working on it 1hour ago exporting artboards in picture (JPEG).

But i saw all that .png.tmp$$ files when i was abt to switch off my computer.

Un fortunatelly, I've got to go right now so I can't connect with your support team.

Hope it will help to solve this problem.

Thanks

Sabsab59_2-1679075599559.pngSabsab59_3-1679075629453.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry...I've got an error message while sending U my AI file:(

Sabsab59_0-1679076386461.png

I don't know why cos it DO is a illustrator files:((

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Sabsab59 zip the file - the forum system can read an .ai extension.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines