Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator does not recognize some fonts correctly

Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I have "created" some fonts. In reality just renamed existing ones. And installed them on my system.

Then, through another software, I produce designs which use these fonts and output the designs in SVG format.

These are the files that I want to open in Illustrator, and where the issue occurs.

Specifically, Illustrator does not identify 4 of the fonts I've created: OP-Alegreya and the ones that start with OP-Marine.

Importantly, it does recognize other fonts that have gone through the exact same procedure (name change and being installed), in the file provided see for example OP-Buffalo.

Also importantly, inside Illustrator I can select the fonts OP-Alegreya and OP-Marine-X perfectly fine and they work. So they do indeed work perfectly in Illustrator. The issue is only that Illustrator does not pick up the fonts correctly from the SVG file.

I am not sure why this happens and was hoping that perhaps someone could help me out.

Find attached the SVG "mug_1.svg" and all the font files in this shared drive:

fonts 

TOPICS
Bug , Tools , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

You will find information about font naming in your font editor's documentation. Proper font naming can only be done with a font editor e.g. https://help.fontlab.com/fontlab-vi/Font-Naming/

Also: these kinds of edits are probably not allowed by the terms of use of the font (even freefonts).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you actually rename all the info inside the fonts? Sounds like something is not right there and AI mixes them up.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will find information about font naming in your font editor's documentation. Proper font naming can only be done with a font editor e.g. https://help.fontlab.com/fontlab-vi/Font-Naming/

Also: these kinds of edits are probably not allowed by the terms of use of the font (even freefonts).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello @Karl Fabian5F97,

Thanks for reaching out. I hope the suggestions shared by Monika and Mylenium helped resolve the problem.

Feel free to reach out if you have more questions or need assistance. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines