Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator doesn't let me export to SVG-file, exports to XML-file instead

New Here ,
Apr 05, 2023 Apr 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to export an Illustrator file with five artboards, only containing text and images, to 5 separate SVG-files. I've tried multiple times through export > export as > SVG, but when I click on export, 5 separate XML-files with .svg-file-endings are saved. As I'm trying to export logos for a client in SVG-format with a preview thumbnail, this is quite an issue.

Any advice?

best,

Elena

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file format SVG is based on XML.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this! 🙂 but still, how am I able to export true SVG-files? 

Had to find a work around now by converting the XML-files to SVG with internet services...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

or to be more clear, I want the file-type to be displayed like this: Screenshot 2023-04-05 at 14.09.07.png

instead of this:

Screenshot 2023-04-05 at 14.11.28.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your system does that. Maybe put an extension to that file, so Mac OS can see what file type it is. And maybe you need to link a different application to the file?

This is a file I just exported using Export as:

Bildschirmfoto 2023-04-05 um 14.49.06.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello @412830796143,

We understand that encountering technical issues can be frustrating. Would you mind trying to permanently change the app used to open SVGs to Finder (https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/mac-help/mh35597/mac#:~:text=Permanently%20change%20the%20app%...) and checking if it helps?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines