• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator error "An unknown error has occurred"

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working in an .ai file that I have saved frequently before. Suddenly when I try to save the file, I get an error that reads "an unknown error has occurred" and the file won't save at all, anywhere. I have not seen this error message before and have had no issues opening or saving the file up until this point.

I need to have the file as an .ai file (not .eps or any other format). I am working in Illustrator CC (2015.3) and using macOS Sierra.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Do your files have linked assets?

A similar thread came up a long time ago and removing linked assets fixed it- one of them was corrupted.

Another solution would be to reset your Illustrator preferences (hold Shift+Opt+Cmd before startup).

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Hi All,

Sorry to hear about this experience. In addition to the suggestions given in earlier responses, we'd recommend you to update the app to the latest version. Steps are shared here.

If the issue still persist, you could check a few more things:

1. Is the file being saved on network drive/shared folder/external HDD? If yes, try saving it locally & see if it helps.
  2. Is the issue related to a specific file? If yes, please follow the steps shared in this help article (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/troubleshoot-file-issues.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 105 Replies 105
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post is mostly informative to both the adobe community and developers.

Since the release of Illustrator 25.1 I've been unable to save in .ai and/or .eps on my local disk (HDD/SDD), so I've been forced to save everything in Adobve ccloud (.aic).

However, I recently seemed to find the issue: when choosing .ai/.eps as saving formats, I am forced to unlock and make ALL layers visible in order to be able to save on ANY local disk. Otherwise, it will throw the famous "An unknown error has occurred".

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Same thing happens to me!

Some files I have been working on and saving for days without problem and suddenly the "an unknown error message has ocurred" pops up (maybe 10 minutes after successfully saving the file) and from there on I'm unable to save/save as the file. I have to take everything to Photoshop, paste as intelligent object, close & open illustrator, open the intelligent object, take it to a new file and then save it. This is a real pain and unacceptable, as it renders the working process unefficient and makes me lose work constantly. Sometimes the same problem file later on will open and save without issues again, sometimes the error persists, it's a real lottery.

Illustrator 25.1

Mac Os 10.15.7

No hidden/blocked layers or objects (sometimes it's the simplest vector file with only 1 layer)

Ocurrs with local disks and external hard drives

I really hope somebody at Adobe takes this issue seriously - as I can see looking at the forum there are posts from as far back as 2014 without viable solutions given.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i had the same issue,

you need to check you have enough space in your harddesk, where Adobe illustrator is installed

you can try this solution.

it may or may not work but it did for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved this issue by freeing up space on my HD. I was working with a 500mb file and did not have enough space to save the changes I made to the file.

Try emptying the trash and remove large files you no longer need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing that worked for me was to uncheck the following during the saving process:

"Create PDF Compatible File"

"Use Compression"

While this might not be a permanent solution, it should allow you to save your current document without losing hours of work.

Once saved, you should check for updates and restart your computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2023 Dec 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to delete the assets one by one while I saved the file, apparently "an unknown error" can be solved by rasterizing some png files! I don't know the cause, maybe a problem with the file being too large for enough effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines