• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator files losing links when opened in another computer

New Here ,
Jun 26, 2019 Jun 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having trouble in opening files created or edited in other computers, it doesn't open with images that my cooworkers have linked. In the computer they created the file it opnes junt fine, but in other ones, the missing link message appears. We always save the images and the file in the shared disk.

If anyone knows why this is happening, it will help a lot, as we lose a lot of time relinking all images.

{Renamed by MOD}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 26, 2019 Jun 26, 2019

Linked images must always be kept in the same folder relationship to the Illustrator file when transferring from one computer to another.

A simple solution is to File > Package before transferring to another computer. That way all links will be replicated.

Another option would be to embed the linked graphics before transferring, if that would be acceptable in your workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linked images must always be kept in the same folder relationship to the Illustrator file when transferring from one computer to another.

A simple solution is to File > Package before transferring to another computer. That way all links will be replicated.

Another option would be to embed the linked graphics before transferring, if that would be acceptable in your workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2019 Jun 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try both suggestions for sure! Thank you for the reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you trying to link to the shared disk or have you brought the images onto your hard drive? If you are trying to link to a shared server that is probably the problem as Illustrator does not do well over a network. Do as Barbara suggested above. Package the files and work locally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a shared server. I didn't know Illustrator doesn't do well with it. Thank you for the reply! I'll try to package the files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gabriela,

Thanks for reaching out. Missing links is an expected behaviour if the files are not sent as a package on different systems as mentioned by Barbara and Bill.

Packaging allows you to gather the files you’ve used, including fonts (except Chinese, Korean, and Japanese) and linked graphics, for easy handoff.

I would request if you can check out this helps article for more details: Package files in Illustrator.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if you are linking to a shared drive (like Box, DropBox, Internal Server) should't those links remain intact when opened on a different computer that has access to those shared drives? I'm also having that issue. Linking to those same assets in InDesign & Photoshop work fine. A different user (with access to the shared drive) opens the files and all the links are good. Seems like an Illustartor bug to me. This has become increasingly important post-COVID as more and more people are working from home and using shared Drives to share work.  Sounds like the developers of Illustartor need to go down the hall and talk to the InDesign & Photoshop teams and find out how they made that work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2023 Jul 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is a huge time wasting issue that Adobe needs to stop making excuses for, relaying non solutions and beating around the bush. We ALL know to keep a Links folder with the Illustrator file. The problem is it still DOESN"T WORK!. SOLVE this. Its a monumental waste of time relinking files. I will not embed them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2019 Jun 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another option would be to create a folder named Links next to the Illustrator file and put the linked images in there.

Illustrator will always look for a folder with that name when it is searching for linked images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's nice! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't test if it works on a shared disk, but I cannot see a reason why not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It took me ages to solve this, it was the most annoying thing. (Adobe support couldn't help with it)

When saving a file in Illustrator, use Save As, choose the location, and in this window make sure to tick the box: "Include Linked Files".

That's it ðŸ™‚

Screen Shot 2023-05-18 at 15.26.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't do that, because it will embed the file into the AI file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right, my mistake 😞 (couldn't delete the comment)

The only solution I've found is to have the AI file together with the linked files. 
It's very annoying, it has to be another solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines