• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator is littering server with tmp files

Enthusiast ,
Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustator 2020 is not removing tmp files from server after saving file. it doesn't remove them after closing file either. folders are getting littered with tmp files.

worse, if i try to delete them, sometimes finder will crash and won't relaunch again and i'll have to restart - this might be a server issue but it wasn't an issue before 2019 and 2020. it would happen once in a while in 2019 but now it happens every time on 2020. with 2019, i used to see one tmp file for the time a file remained opened, with 2020 i'm seeing multiple tmp files for the same opened file throughout the day.

i tried disabling save in backgound as that had it's own drawbacks, like i would try and save again while it wasn't done saving the previous time.

why are these tmp files even being saved on the server? why don't they go in the /private/tmp folder instead? wouldn't it be faster to save the tmp file to the local scratch disk and then move it to the server once, instead of writing to the server twice? 

anyway. this is becoming a real problem.

all these tmp files are from the same ai file and all created yesterday as i worked on the same file. this is really bad imo

files.jpg

edit: just now i tried to delete just one of those file and finder froze. i had to restart my computer navigated to the folder and tried deleting again and again finder is frozen and i have to restart yet again. am i just supposed to live with this files forever? there is something really wrong with the way those files are being saved. why are they even visible?

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you already try and disable all those new saving/network options in Preferences > File Handling & clipboard?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes i did. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do the permissions look like on that folder?

Try changing this getting, and saving as turning off PDF compatible.

Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 6.32.57 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2020 Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything that you said happens to me exactly the same way every once in a while. I am currently using Illustrator 24.1.3 and I have come across these files popping up now. 

Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 11.45.20 AM.png

Are these now the tmp files? I can't delete them because it says it's being in used! Ugh! I just now noticed it doing the same thing with a pdf I exported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 11, 2020 Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it help trying the steps that have been posted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it doesn't work. You are making the assumption that it is some sort of individual set-up problem, but this is wrong. If you are seeing dozens, hundreds or even thousands of people with the same problem it is not likely that everyone has the same set-up. It infinitly more likely to be a problem with the code in Illustrator. If you see hoofprints don't look for zebras. Please fix this and stop assuming the problem lies with the user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are not talking to "Adobe" here. This is a public forum. People marked as "staff" are staff. Others are not.

And yes: changing the preferences helps people. If you did try it and it didn't help, please contact support: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What specific settings should be changed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reference was to the earlier advice "Did you already try and disable all those new saving/network options in Preferences > File Handling & clipboard?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem is that I rarely look at my preferences so I don't know which ones are new. I was hesitant to try turning things off without knowing which were the new settings. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - found this thread while hunting around for a solution to the same problem. It's a pain for me too, as the only way I can delete them is to move to the server Mac. 

It's also a random issue. I don't really want to disable the autosave/file recovery, as it has saved me a few crucial times before (like power cuts!), so is there another way to fix it rather than disabling it? (Which seems counterproductive?). 

THanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same issue here. TMP files have not been disappearing after a file save for a month or so now. Wasn't an issue previously. Maybe something with a recent update? No idea. For now, I'm deleting the TMP files manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines