• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator is not loading art on the stage but is loading layers!

Contributor ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

This is an error that is getting worse the more I use Illustrator. It would happen occasionally on 2018 and is happening over and over again now that I have upgraded to the flawed 2019 release. The artboards are not loading on the stage for the file yet the layers panel is showing the file as open.

This issue is also presenting itself when you try to open multiple AI files in tabs. I have had files open in multiple tabs with one of them not opening the stage with the artboards.

The recent list in the start screen shows the file has opened, the layers load in, but nothing that can be worked on.

Just as an experiment I swapped the layer order while the file is open in this way and saved the file and when I re-opened it the changes had been saved. The file is open but not being displayed.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 4.42.41 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brett,

Thanks for the screenshot, wish everyone did this when posting as provides so much useful info. What I am seeing:

1. Layers palette is showing layers as if file is open
  2. The home screen is showing as if no documents are open
  3. You have CAD Tools plug ins which may be conflicting

Suggestions

• disable CADtools and run to see if that was causing the conflict
  • turn off the 2 settings in red circles

Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 7.28.59 PM.png

• Try switching workspaces
  • windows >> application frame

Questions

1. Are you saying the artboards shows up empty, as if no file is open?
  2. Are you able to pull down menus and everything functions as if as if the file is open?
  3. Do you have a dual monitor?
  4. So on you layer order test, you were never able to determine if that was saved, try doing a save as and save a copy to desktop to see if a file appears
  5. Does this happens to all files, or files which have a common element in them?

Your symptoms suggest the application frame is off screen somewhere, but your home screen showing contradicts that. So thinking CADtools might be doing something strange, or there is something in the construction of the file that puts  this in a limbo between open and opening. Illustrator for example does not like a symbol nested inside a symbol, but that usually just slows the file to a complete crawl and opens 5 minutes later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To your first set:

1. Layers palette is showing layers as if file is open | YES
  2. The home screen is showing as if no documents are open | YES
  3. You have CAD Tools plug ins which may be conflicting | NO, I can trigger this error with or without CAD Tools

To your second set:

1. Are you saying the artboards shows up empty, as if no file is open? The entire stage is empty, even when the start screen is deactivated the window is without editable area, much less the artboards that appear within it.
  2. Are you able to pull down menus and everything functions as if as if the file is open? Yes, panels open and close, pulldowns function as intended, I even get popups for effects and other functions, but I cannot see what they are doing on the stage.
  3. Do you have a dual monitor? Yes and I can trigger this error on a single monitor the same way. Primarily this occurs the first time I open a file after a restart. On 2019 I have seen it happen randomly, even while other files are open in other tabs.
  4. So on you layer order test, you were never able to determine if that was saved, try doing a save as and save a copy to desktop to see if a file appears | I was able to determine that the changes I made while the main window was malfunctioning saved with the file. I can demonstrate the error with Save As or Save Copy as well as Save.
  5. Does this happens to all files, or files which have a common element in them? Nothing that I can see. Small files, big files, files with embedded images, files with complex vectors, all of the above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding and removing the multiple monitors is an reoccurring problem that easily confuses your monitor card. You don't have to restart to resolve  but will need to experiment to find what works best

Try changing  suggestions I had earlier, and if worst case you must toggling the resolution & arrangment of your display in system preferences for your monitor card to refresh what is connected to that. You will meed to save atleast 2 workspace, one for if 2nd monitor, another for one monitor. Try keeping in all apps and the windows that pop upon the same monitor, and the second monitor only for palettes and finder operations, otherwise you are always battling to fix this and better to work with one monitor until you get this set up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have just described the setup that I have already employed. I have two workspaces for using one or two monitors, I have the main screen dedicated to the stage and the other monitor for the windows and I restart the computer on a daily basis.

Also consider that we pay a healthy sum of money to use these programs, it is not our responsibility to alter our practices to accommodate the software, it is Adobe's responsibility to write the software to accommodate the users. I have a host of other programs that work with graphics that do not have the issues Adobe has. I am not paying to be a beta tester for Adobe, I am paying for a complete software package that works PROPERLY!

Previous versions of Illustrator did not do this, there is no excuse for the current versions to have this issue. It is NOT a user problem, it is a software problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same dual screen issues, except for Im on a laptop, so i use my second monitor as my main monitor ( its 4 times bigger). This might be a MACOS issue rather than an app issue?

I agree with the thought that Adobe might be "jumping the shark" with all the new features they are trying add into their applications. I have a (much) older computer and Im using PS6, Illy9, etc and I have little to no technical problems, while still having the same creative power of all the new CC apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Reset/recreate your workspace. Mine fixed as soon as i recreated my workspace from the layout workspace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Though you mentioned also having this in CC2018 would keep an eye on this post.

Photoshop CC 2019: "disable home screen" not working | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem in 2018 but rarely. I do not get any panels or pallets, just the home screen. Quit/ reopen Illustrator fixes it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I agree that the solution is easy, quit and restart, the error has become more prevalent with 2019 since it is happening randomly and with files already open in other tabs. It becomes a time waste and a real workflow issue when I use the "Edit Original" function in InDesign and the AI file doesn't properly open. The "round trip" function for editing AI documents that are linked in InDesign is non-functional due to this error.

I realize this isn't a major bug but it is getting worse. I have been noticing the error since upgrading to 2018 but since the fix was easy I didn't bother reporting it, figured Adobe would fix it when they came out with 2019, instead the issue is worse and now becoming a greater issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines