• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator keeps creating a duplicate file in pdf format

Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep having numerous instances of illustrator creating a duplicate PDF file of my document. It will always be formatted like this: ai165349314763File Name Here.pdf. This happens even if I open an AI file for only a couple of minutes, without making any changes or having to save. And I am working on a file with an AI extension, not a PDF extension. It doesn't behave like a temp file in that it goes away when I close the document. It is a permanent file that I have to manually delete. It's almost like it's creating a physical copy of a Recovery save. Can someone please tell me how to turn this off so I don't have to throw unnessary file away 10X per day? 

I'm using AI 26.3.1 on Monterey. This only happens with Illustrator.

TOPICS
Bug , Performance , Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

That is your Mac OS causing a temp file to show and messing up the actual document.

Do not work on a server directly. Drag to local, edit, save and drag back.

Adobe has never supported networked or non-local file management.

Any number of factors can contribute to this but recently it's gotten worse with Mac OS updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you working off of a networked server?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know about the OP, but I am having the same issue and I am working on a network server.

There are 4 other artists in the department that are not having the same issue.

I am on MacOS 10.15.7, and Illustrator version 26.4.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is your Mac OS causing a temp file to show and messing up the actual document.

Do not work on a server directly. Drag to local, edit, save and drag back.

Adobe has never supported networked or non-local file management.

Any number of factors can contribute to this but recently it's gotten worse with Mac OS updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am working off a server and unfortunately it's necessary. However, out of the blue about a week ago the issue just went away and hasn't happened since. Go figure! However, now I know what to be aware of if the issue should return. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hear you about the server. It's a pain to have to manually copy files over every night so they can get backed up.

It would be nice if Adobe could get into the 21st century regarding network access.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be clear this has nothing to do with Adobe. It has more to do with Mac OS read/writing to a Windows based server and not releasing permissions. It's been this way for decades - it's nothing new.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please explain why it happens with only one Mac out of seven in the department. And why does this not happen with other software that we use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Besides the Mac/Windows thing that Kevin already brought up, there are two other things happening: Illustrator doesn't get notified of any network communication. When you close the dialog box, it considers the file saved. Even if it actually never arrived on the server. Problem has its own page in the helpx system: https://helpx.adobe.com/be_en/illustrator/kb/illustrator-support-networks-removable-media.html

Illustrator has a peculiar way of saving files: they are actually two in one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpDh8Y7q8yE

You can try two things: check out the settings in the preferences: There is one for optimizing saving on servers. Maybe it helps. You can also try and not save the two in one file by turning off the PDF compatibility option in the AI file settings. Won't work when you need to place your AI files in InDesign or the like.

And be very careful with working directly on the server, because you might always lose the file completely. 

Illustrator has a special way of saving native files. You should know this in order to be able to set the correct options and to recover some of your artwork when things go wrong. More info about saving files in Illustrator Saving safely: http://vektorgarten.de/illustrator-saving-safely.html ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. That was very helpful.

Just FYI this only just started happening in the last two weeks, and we've been working like this for years.

Weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@RBurgett57  schrieb:

Thank you. That was very helpful.

Just FYI this only just started happening in the last two weeks, and we've been working like this for years.

Weird.

Networks are just very peculiar. 

For some people working like this won't function at all.

Some can narrow it down to a cause of it all and I have seen it been narrowed to to some very obscure setting in some switch on the network.

It might also be a different cable, time not set up correctly or an update to the server's OS.

If it doesn't happen on some computers, one explanation might be that they are located in a different room. But could also be anything else.

Just keep in mind that working like this is not officially recommended.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've experienced the same issue using Microsoft Excel files. Temp files remain behind due to Mac OS and corrupt the original.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regardless of where the responsibility for the issue lies, it's really a pain.

Especially since we typically have lots of linkd files placed, and having to re-link everything can be more work that we typically don't really have time for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We ended up switching to a DAM-based system that downloads the necessary assets locally to your Mac and when you check the main document back in, remove them. It's very savvy and eliminated almost all our Adobe network issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds like what we need! Can you give me any details on your setup?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We use a solution called MediaBank. Very slick with native InDesign, PS, AI and Office plugins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines