• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator keeps flattening every PS file I try to import int AI. How do I keep the files in layers

Participant ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact that I haven't found any other posts on this subject tells me that I'm gertting too old for this. The last time I tried to import a layered PS file into Illustrator, I was given the opportunity to import the file either as layers ("objects") or as a single flattened image, in a dialogue box that appeared onscreen before the image was opened. Not any more. The terminology has changed, the practice has changed, blah blah blah, and now I have a growing stack of flattened images that are useless because I need to make changes in more than one layer. I'm running Illustrator 25.4.1 and PS 22.5.1, and I have no idea how to make the layered import happen. And please, nobody needs any screenshots. This is a procedural matter. There's either a way to do it or there isn't. Any help will be appreciated.

TOPICS
Import and export , Performance , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi you can convert your ai file to psd from export as option or simple copy your items and paste as smart object so it will be linked to illustrtor...regards

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you Place your file, make sure that Link is not checked, and Import Options is shown. Your layer dialog should then come up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No wonder I'm having trouble. I'm used to simply opening a PS file in AI and being offered the choice of  layers-as-objects or one layer, flattened. So it appears that simply opening a PS file in AI is not going to work. The options "export", "link", "paste", and  "import" are ones I've never had to deal with previously uipon simply opening a file. So I need to read up on how to invoke the Layers Dialogue when opening (or importing, or pasting, or placing) a file in AI. Thanks, Brad @ Roaring Mouse, for providing me with that term, Layers Dialogue. And thanks to all three of you for giving me an idea what I need to know and haven't yet learned on this subject.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

now I have a growing stack of flattened images that are useless because I need to make changes in more than one layer.

By @birckcmi

I don't get what you are doing there.

You are importing Photoshop files into Illustrator in order to edit the Photoshop layers? Wouldn't that be better done in Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Monika, I'm bringing a layered PS file into AI not because I want to edit the PS layers,  but because I want to add an Illustrator element to-usually- the top layer. So I need to have the PS file in front of me in Illustrator to get the size, position, shape, whatever, correct. I then copy the AI element, return to Photoshop and place it where it's supposed to be. But it isn't always for the top layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Others have answered about importing PSD in Illustrator with layers. And it would actually helpü if you could post screenshots. And describe what exactly you are doing when importing.

I still don't get it. When all you want to do is draw something in the correct size, then what do you need layers for? And before you ask: yes, I'm placing thing into Illustrator in order to draw object that fit into it all the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2024 Apr 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For it was because my psd file was in 16 bit mode. Change it to 8 bit and itll work 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines