• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator macOS 12.3.1 Preferences folder Read-Only

Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried to change the permissions on preferences (i've succeeded in changing them on Application Support/Adobe)

However when i go to /Library/Preferences it says it can't change the permissions because I don't have the permissions necessary to do so

Anyone kno whow to remedy this?

[Renamed by Mod]

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Apple has limited access to the System/Library in the new Monterey OS to the System Admin only. To change the Adobe preferences for Illustrator, you need to go to the Library folder in your user folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Hello @Andrew24572087m0si,

Sorry to hear about this experience. As pointed out by Larry, you need to change the permissions for these folders after closing out all Adobe applications:
• ~/Library/Caches
• ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe
• ~/Library/Preferences

Note: Location starting with this "~" sign indicates the User Library, which is hidden. So, you need to copy & paste the exact path in spotlight search or from Finder Menu > Go > Go to Folder > Paste the location in the dialog box like

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yo ushould go to Apple System Preferences/Security and Privacy and add Adobe Illustrator to the Full Disk Access list. No need to go around in the individual folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Unfortunately when given full access the application still doesn't open and still gives the same error.

When I follow the instructions on the website under more info: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/preferences-folder-read-only-error.html, I'm met with the error message within finder saying I cannot update the preferences folder's permissions.

Have you ever seen anything like this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple has limited access to the System/Library in the new Monterey OS to the System Admin only. To change the Adobe preferences for Illustrator, you need to go to the Library folder in your user folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you an Admin account on this Mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help!! This fixed it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear about this experience. As pointed out by Larry, you need to change the permissions for these folders after closing out all Adobe applications:
• ~/Library/Caches
• ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe
• ~/Library/Preferences

Note: Location starting with this "~" sign indicates the User Library, which is hidden. So, you need to copy & paste the exact path in spotlight search or from Finder Menu > Go > Go to Folder > Paste the location in the dialog box like this:

Anshul_Saini_0-1643743865628.png

Kindly update this thread if the issue persists or if you need further assistance.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This fixed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear it helped. Feel free to reach out if you need further assistance in the future.

Regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2022 Nov 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have been having the same problem about 6 months ago... I have been going throgh all the steps and adjusted all the folders to read and write... AI functioned fine after that.
Now, unfortunately, 6 months later I get the same message, and AI doesnt start up.
Obviously all the folders are still set to read and write, but in one way or the other this message pops up and I cant get to work..
Can anybody help me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2022 Nov 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of AI is currently active on your computer? Do you have automatic updates enabled in your CC account? It may be that an update occurred and reset the preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Andrew24572087m0si,

We are sorry to hear about your experience. Would you mind updating to v27.0.1 and seeing if that helps?

If it doesn't, would you mind trying the providing read & write access to the folder & Full Disk Access as demonstrated in this YouTube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTHIAxnhLXM)?

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines