• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

illustrator on M1 Max Chips

New Here ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there anyone tried to run illustrator on Macbook pro M1 Max, did they solve the lagging issue? 

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. Would you mind sharing more information about your concern? Do you see this lag while working on a specific file or performing a specific task? We'll be happy to look into it.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2021 Nov 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using illstrator v26.01 on m1 pro max 64gb and freeform gradient is slow, lagging, sometimes causing spod when file is above 3000 x 3000 pixels. This is for the default freeform gradient setting with only 4 corner points.

Lag occurs when applying the gradient. Gets even laggier when changing colors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2021 Nov 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried that on my M1 and can't reproduce it. There's a very slight lag when applying a freeform gradient, it's only happening nearly immediately, but that's it. Artboard is 5000x6000 px. Object is about that size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just started working in my M1 Max and can confirm that the artwork I was working on is a lot more laggy vs. working with the same file on my Mac Mini M1. It's nearly impossible moving the illustration taking several seconds to redraw on the M1 Max. There's definitely some graphics issue going on. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2021 Dec 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Myself and some colleagues have experienced the same issue.

2 of us are on M1 Max's and other on M1.

I did a recent update and it seemed to work for me but other colleague still having the issue. Apparently when she unplugged her two monitors and worked straight from the laptop is was a lot better, and when she used 1 monitor it was OK. It was 2 monitors where she had the problem. 

Not sure if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2021 Dec 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even after the most recent update, the problem persists for me. No additional monitors. With CMYK color mode and GPU enabled it's even worse. Literally can't work with some files. (Again these files on the M1 mac mini is much more performant)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Peter Furstenberg,

Sorry to hear that. Would it be possible for you to share a sample file in which you are facing this issue? I'll be happy to check at my end. Also, please confirm the exact version of macOS & Illustrator installed on your Mac, and where is the file(s) saved (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System/ External HDD)?

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can second that. My previous system was a MB Pro late 2017, 16GB ram and 500 GB HDD, and my new system is a Mac Studio M1 Max 10 core with 64 GB ram, 32 gfx cores and 4 TB HDD. I run macOS Monterey and Illustrator 26.2.1. I'm working with a rather complex file (a vehicle construction drawing), no gradients, no embedded files, only a large amount of anchorpoints and vector objects. When I for example try to move a grouped object it lags a lot, and even if I select a single simple object and move it with the arrow keys there is a noticable delay between every step. With my new system I expect it to handle almost anything I throw at it with ease. I'm beginning to suspect that Adobe Illustrator isn't optimized for Apple silicon yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add that I use a singel monitor (2560 x 1440 @ 60.00Hz) with an HDMI cable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated Illustrator to version 26.3.1 but the performance problem persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @gloofer,

Sorry to hear about this experience. I would request you try resetting Illustrator's preferences by following the steps shared in this article (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/troubleshoot-preference-issues.html) and sharing your observations.
Disclaimer: Please note that resetting preferences will remove all custom settings, and Illustrator will launch with the defaults. You may take a backup of these settings from the location mentioned in the article.

Also, try running Illustrator under the root user account and share your observations.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anubhav.
I just tried both your suggested methods (resetting preferences and root user), but the lagging problem is still there unfortunately. I also fired up my old Intel Macbook Pro and tried with the same file, and there the lagging problem is worse, but not by much. Considering my new system (Mac Studio) is leaps and bounds better/faster one should think there should be no lag att all. Is Illustrator optimized to take full advantage of Apple silicon yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @gloofer,

Thanks for getting back. Illustrator runs natively on Apple computers with the Apple silicon M1 chip. I would request you try the suggested shared in this help article and check if it helps: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/optimize-illustrator-performance.html.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2022 Aug 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone. I can confirm that this is still a serious issue, even to date. I am working on a very simple design at the moment with no gradients or anything special, and the lag is getting unbearably bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, just want to update that as of today this issue is still persistent. I just got my M1 pro and opened up a file with just 8 artboards of 1920x1080px and was experiencing very bad lag when scrolling and zooming. I honestly cannot believe it's the laptop as my ryzen 5 pc which runs windows handles this flawlessly and even my 2012 macbook pro handles this same file with absolutely zero lag. I don't think this is fully optimised yet for apple silicon, quite a few bugs. Please fix soon guys 😞 it's very unbearable 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Big Brave Brett@travvv,

Sorry to hear about this experience. Would you mind hiding the grid in Illustrator (View > Hide Grid) and checking if it helps?

If the issue persists, kindly check if it is happening with other files as well.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have the same issue and it's unbearable! 

MacBook Pro - Monterey v12.5

M1 pro chip . 1TB storage.

Illustrator v26.5.

illustrator is using more than  270GB of memory and causing other apps to crash ! So along with being super slow , it is also using most of the storage 

Is this issue going to be resolved soon ? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Sarah25682873zu2p,

We are sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing and the delayed response. This is a known issue in Monterey with many non-adobe apps as well. Please try the steps suggested in this third-party YouTube video and see if that helps or not.

If it doesn't, I would suggest you reach out to Apple support for further assistance.

Thanks & Regards,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im experiencing almost unuable lag in Illustrator.   When I click on a tool tip to get the fly out for the tools underneath, it take 3-4 seconds for the flyout to pop up.   Dragging things across the screen lags at least 2-3 seconds.   I'm baffled.  

M1Max 16" laptop w/ 64 gb of ram.

problem persists aftewr reboots as well.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

also seems to be resolution / document size independent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Synergy_Sign_Jim,

We are sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing. This is not a usual behavior by the app. I would request you to please try the steps suggested in this community post (https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/resolve-slow-performance-and-unexpected-behaviors-in-illu...) and let us know how it goes.

I will be looking forward to your response.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm having a very big Lagging problem, especially with files that are gradient.

Please ask someone who can solve the problem to return to me.

System: monterey, m. 64 gb, m1 max, 2 gb flash storage

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @bd123456,

Sorry about the trouble. Would it be possible for you to upload the file on Creative Cloud or any similar service and share the download link here or via DM with me? I will check it on my end.

I will be looking forward to the file.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear @Anshul_Saini 

Thanks for your feedback.

You can view the files in the link.
https://we.tl/t-xNRV9WagD3

I noticed that the performance increased when I unplugged the HDMI cable, by the way.

But even if we don't plug in a cable, it's a maximum performance of a 10 minutes, we can get efficiency. Then you have to close and open the Illustrator.

Is it a problem due to not seeing the Graphics card in the Preferences --- Performance section?

Thanks and Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines