• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator processes faster when mouse cursor is moving over window

Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the strangest thing and I have no clue why it happens. I hadn't noticed until the other day that when my mouse cursor is moving over an open Illustrator document that is being processed by software I've written (accesses Illustrator via COM), Illustrator process the document WAY faster (it takes seconds instead of the usual couple minutes).

I decided to run a test and added a "counter" to the app that reads out how fast the paths in the document are being processed. Sure enough, when the cursor is not moving or not over the Illustrator window, the paths are processed at around 4 per second. When the cursor is moving over the Illustrator window, it jumps up to around 50  I checked Task Manager and the CPU percentage jumps up, as well, when the cursor is moving over the Illustrator window.

It's so strange I haven't been able to pinpoint the cause or find a way to reproduce it programatically, which would be very useful, as files would process far faster.

If anyone has experience, an explanation, or a way to reproduce this programmatically, I'd love to hear!

Thank you,

Jared Matthews

ESM Trading Company

TOPICS
Bug , Performance , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

I found a solution. I ended up just slightly changing the document view's zoom factor in each 'for' loop iteration. This causes the same change as moving the mouse over the window (I'm assuming some sort of redraw/update) and makes the app process at full speed.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's a very unusual find, thanks for sharing! I'd do some testing and report back as soon as I have a chance.

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

since I'm working on a script as we speak, I shook the mouse around expecting to see the magic...it actually slowed down the process. It was javascript though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try doing this test with:

* GPU preview on

* GPU preview off

* GPU preview on & Outline View

* GPU preview off & Outline View

It would be interesting to see if something that the user can change in the UI could have an effect on this issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when using js, outline view and full screen definitely improve performance. The reason, less UI and Art to redraw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was the same result with CPU as with GPU.

I tried outline mode and BAM! It processed the entire document in around a second (even faster than moving the cursor)! Great suggestion!! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh wait. It's only if the cursor is moving over the Illustrator window that it processes super fast in outline mode. As usual, if the cursor is still, it processes at the normal slow rate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ya, it's still doing the same thing, just sped up some due to the lack of redrawing the document.

Wish I could figure this out. Would be incredibly useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

awesome! 

does it help if you shake up the mouse programatically?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't tried yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a solution. I ended up just slightly changing the document view's zoom factor in each 'for' loop iteration. This causes the same change as moving the mouse over the window (I'm assuming some sort of redraw/update) and makes the app process at full speed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for sharing your findings!! this could be real useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

but just to be clear, this fast performance finding is through COM right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines