Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator saving multiple versions of same file using all my memory

New Here ,
Mar 24, 2023 Mar 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There

Everytime time I save my illustrator files Adobe saves every version - I now have multiple versions of same file and its very confusing. and using up lots of memory.

Also, I am concerned that if I delete old files any linked images will be lost? I think I have embedded all imported images.

Can any one advise?

I have read one post that suggested turning off saving in background - too soon to tell if this helps.

many thanks!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 24, 2023 Mar 24, 2023

Try to save them on your desktop and copy them to your iCloud folder when finished.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 24, 2023 Mar 24, 2023

Hello @Sury29049036b166,

We understand that encountering technical issues can be frustrating. Illustrator supports working across networks and from removable media/cloud-synced folders and is vigorously tested across multiple network configurations. However, not all existing network configurations which include different software, hardware, settings, and access rights have been tested. Therefore, your network or sync configuration can cause errors, crashes, or unexpected behavior. You may lear

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the future, to find the best place to post your message, use the list here, https://community.adobe.com/

p.s. i don't think the adobe website, and forums in particular, are easy to navigate, so don't spend a lot of time searching that forum list. do your best and we'll move the post if it helps you get responses.

<moved from using the community>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I understand that you moved my original post into this community if thats correct thankyou ! and if I am wrong can you say if I need to repost it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are these files saved? A server, cloud/sync folder, desktop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

They are saved to my icloud 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to save them on your desktop and copy them to your iCloud folder when finished.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I'll try that. Would you think that all the files are linked ? I want to delete old files but i'm worried that i may lose some work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the last one you saved outside the Cloud folder does not show missing links in the Links panel, it would be safe to delete the older ones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Sury29049036b166,

We understand that encountering technical issues can be frustrating. Illustrator supports working across networks and from removable media/cloud-synced folders and is vigorously tested across multiple network configurations. However, not all existing network configurations which include different software, hardware, settings, and access rights have been tested. Therefore, your network or sync configuration can cause errors, crashes, or unexpected behavior. You may learn more about this here: (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/illustrator-support-networks-removable-media.html).

To avoid these problems, we recommend working on your files from a local drive location, such as the desktop, and then manually copying the files to the network/removable drive or the cloud-sync folder, as suggested by Ton.

Feel free to reach out if you have more questions or need assistance. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Note: Marking correct for visibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2023 Sep 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

So I had the same issue and I tried going into Ilustrator's Preferences> Clipboard Handling

I unchecked everything- No extra files have been saved now. If I look in Finder Window I do see the .tmp files being temporarily saved right above my named file but that disappears once the file is officially saved. No longer do I have the same file ending with a newer number in chronoliogical number.

So which file did I choose to officially continue using and keeping? I chose the one that was saved most recently by looking at the date and time in the finer window. Then I trashed the others. I don't think the multiple file saving has anythng to do with server connection.  So far working for me.... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 24, 2023 Sep 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did you also turn off "Save in background" in "File handling?

Where do you save your files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines