• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator shape is not connected

Explorer ,
May 21, 2024 May 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the latest Illustrator version 28.5 on a Windows PC.

I created a shape using the Pen tool. It should be connected like always (Image 1 attached) but when i zoom in the dots seems disconnected (Image 2 attached). I use the lines for a CNC cutting machine, the cutting software doesn't read it when it's disconnected like that. What's the problem with Illustrator, I had no issue before.

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , How-to , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 22, 2024 May 22, 2024

I got it finaly... after trying to change the settings of the svg file. It worked when i changed the CSS properties to "Style Attributes (Entity References)" & changed the Decimal places to "2" instead of 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2024-05-21 143206.jpg

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried exporting the artwork in a different "flavor" of SVG? Just recently at my shop we were having issues trying to export SVG files from Adobe Illustrator to use in Onyx Thrive for a vinyl cut-only job (we use PDF files for print and cut jobs). The default settings just wouldn't work. When I changed it to SVG 1.1 Tiny the paths finally worked in Onyx.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 22, 2024 May 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. Will try that option. They are using V Studio for a the cutting machine & they give a hard time but to be honest everything was good every single time until last couple weeks i've been having this problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the file with the markers. I can see the "issue", but it seems to be just a display conflict between the edges of the path and the direction handles when extremely zoomed in and when the Selection tool (black arrow) is active.

Nonetheless, the path is closed, though it may look a bit weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help. I don't know why it's not working for the CNC cutting software. I have no clue. Everything was fine all the time but lately. Thank you though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a test, I exported an SVG and is has a proper closed path command (Z), so it seems fine here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That being said, SVG is a much cruder way of defining objects than in an Illustrator file. Whereas Illustrator defines objects with absolute positioning, (i.e. start at point 100,100... them move to point 103,104 and connect with a line, etc etc), SVG positions things relatively (i.e. start at point 100,100 then move 3 points to the left and 4 points down, connect with a line, etc etc) . How well it does that depends on the decimal precision you saved the SVG at. In your drawing, your path starts at this location (circled in my screen grab) and draws counter clockwise from there. In SVG, it places anchor points relative to this starting point, eventually making it back around (hopefully) to the same starting spot. The end point might actually fall ever so slightly away from the starting point, so the SVG closed path command might draw a very tiny line to join the starting and end point that wasn't in your Illustrator file. This tiny line could actually back up on itself which I can see can play havoc with a CNC machine. This "extra" line did show up in the exported SVG I made (precision 3)

Screen Shot 2024-05-21 at 6.01.45 PM.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your time. I will see if i can do anything else other than an svg for them to cut. Good to know that nothing is wrong in the path itself. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was going to ask if there were other formats. SVG is a pretty new player, so I'm sure there are other formats that might work better for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got it finaly... after trying to change the settings of the svg file. It worked when i changed the CSS properties to "Style Attributes (Entity References)" & changed the Decimal places to "2" instead of 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might try decimal places of 3 or 4 for even more precision

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Got it. That makes sense. Thx 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines