• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator suddenly switching to CPU preview, GPU preview greyed out

Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a document with some large images that suddenly switches my view to CPU Preview shortly after opening, or sometimes when zooming. It'll freeze for a moment before switching to CPU, and GPU Preview will be greyed out. I was able to fix this temporarily by switching to Outline, saving, then closing and reopening the file, but it keeps happening regardless. Does anyone know what's causing this, or how to fix it?

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Participant ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very well known issue that a lot of us are dealing with right now, I've submitted sample artwork to Adobe and they've said that they are looking into it. I can confirm that this problem is still happening even on the latest version of Illustrator (27.2)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What OS & AI version are you running?

What file format are the images, do they have spot color channels? I would recommend .PSD and link to them. CMYK jpgs for example can be problematic. PSD has nonlossy compression and puts the least stress on your system while retaining full quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Jules-D,

Sorry to hear about this experience. Would you mind sharing some more details, like the exact version of the OS/Illustrator installed on your computer and a sample file, so that we can investigate this further?

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2023 Feb 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue. Illustrator flicks to CPU mode within minutes. Hope Adobe fixes the issue quick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2023 Feb 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell us your system and hardware details, the version of Illustrator and when this happens - incase this is always happening when you do a certain thing in Illustrator.

Is there an update for your graphic card driver available?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2023 Feb 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything is upto date including the drivers. I am using Illustrator 27.2 on Windows 11, intel 11th Gen i9-11980HK and Nvidia 3080 (Laptop).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2023 Feb 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that perhaps a gaming driver you have installed for the graphic card? Those have caused issues for some people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @VXfeed,

We understand that encountering technical issues can be frustrating. We are here to help and would like to suggest trying to perform a clean reinstall of the GPU drivers for both the Intel UHD Graphics (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html) and the NVIDIA GeForce 3080 (https://help.bethesda.net/app/answers/detail/a_id/57037/~/how-do-i-perform-a-clean-nvidia-gpu-driver...) and setting High-Performance graphics for Illustrator (https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5035/~/run-with-graphics-processor-missing-from-...) and checking if it helps. If you don't mind, could you please follow the steps and share your observations with us? We appreciate your time and effort in helping us resolve this issue.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My little research has shown that the preview mode changes if the cmyk document contains cmyk images. In a cmyk document with rgb images or an rgb document with rgb/cmyk images, there is no gpu to cpu preview switching when zooming. I think it's a bug. My system: i58400, 32 Gb, GTX1650, Asus PA329C, windows 11, Illustrator 27.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2023 Mar 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. How is your color management set up?

In any case: could you perhaps post that information to https://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cms-illustrator.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. That looks reasonable. Would updating to 27.3.1 be an option for you? Just to check whether it has been addressed.

If it has not been solved: please make a bug report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I haven't had a chance to upgrade to 27.3.1 yet and test it out. I will definitely do this later. Here's what it looks like on my system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 07, 2023 Mar 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that this bug also happens when you have for example a CMYK Document that has an embedded image that doesn't match the document mode -- for example working in a CMYK document and having an image that's in Grayscale or Black/White mode -- immediately causes the GPU setting to die. If the BW image is converted to CMYK either in photoshop or illustrator, GPU works fine. My problem is that previous versions of illustrator just ignore this problem and work -- while all new versions just stop even on the exact same file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! On my system, this bug appears only in a CMYK document with CMYK images, the video shows that I first open and zooming in a CMYK document with RGB images and everything works as it should. Maybe your system behaves differently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The GPU acceleration bug is still present in this version, some files immediately switch to CPU and can't get GPU performance back again. Last version that worked was 26.2.1. Please fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 03, 2023 Mar 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @MegaTorque-01,

We understand that encountering technical issues can be frustrating. Would you mind updating to the latest version of Illustrator 27.3.1 and checking if it helps?

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2023 Mar 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bug is still present in version 27.3.1. I created a bug report on illustrator.uservoice.com
https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/46378609-illust...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just watched your video that you posted and I can say 100% that the bug has something to do with using CMYK and/or RGB artwork together in the same document. I guarantee if you try work on that file in Illustrator 26.2.1 that bug will not affect you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anubhav, I can confirm the GPU bug is still present in every single version of illustrator past 26.2.1 and that includes 27.3.1 with out any doubt. I'm not sure why this isn't getting any more attention, working with out the GPU in Illustrator is a huge bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all! Looks like update 27.4 fixed the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2023 Apr 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having this issue on 27.4.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Doodlebug68,

We are sorry to hear that you're still experiencing this issue. Our product team has worked hard to address this in version 27.4.1, but GPU configurations & workflows can vary greatly.

Would you mind telling us what actions you performed before the GPU switch to CPU and confirming your system specifications, including CPU, GPU make & model, and OS version with build number? We'll do our best to help you resolve this issue.

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2023 Sep 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here! Having this issue as well constantly. Illustrator goes to CPU mode within minutes and GPU is greyed out. Hope Adobe fixes the issue quick as it's very bad for workflow.

Running Illustrator 27.8.1 on a standard MacBook Pro 13-inch, M1, 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines