Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator taking MUCH longer to save

Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I've just recently updated to Illustrator 26.4.1 and now when saving any file (small or larger files) it is taking a lot longer to save withthe message appearing "converting text objects with variable fonts and color" while saving.
I know this is because of the added variable font feature, but this extra time is really effecting my productivity.
Are there any options to turn this off, or any work arounds that will help save more quickly?

I am running on an iMac OS Catalina 10.15.7, latest version of Illustrator.

Thanks

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 02, 2023 Mar 02, 2023

Hello everyone,

I am writing to provide an update on the issue that you all have been experiencing with the "converting text objects with variable fonts and color" message error when saving files in Illustrator.

We highly recommend updating to the latest version of Illustrator (v27.3.1), as we have released this update in an effort to resolve the issue. If you continue to experience this error message after updating, please reach out to me directly so that we can help you find a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Variable fonts have been added several versions ago, from which version did you update?

Where are you saving your files?

How large are the files?

What's in them (the features you used)?

Do you have font management?

Which fonts exactly did you use in the files? Please tell us the names and where you got them from. Some fonts are known problematic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the resonse Monika:

1. I updated from version 26.3.1 to version 26.4.1

2. Saving files to my hard drive.
3. Files sizes vary greatly from a few MB to 30-40MB usually, sometimes larger.

4. No special features used usually, but sometimes either placed or enbedded raster images.

5. No font managment used other than FontBook on Mac.

6. On this particular document I'm using 3 fonts, Myriad Pro (Mac font, Arial (Mac font, and "IM FELL DW Pica Roman" an Adobe TypeKit font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the details.

After (or when) updating did you reset the Illustrator preferences? Unfortunately this is often necessary. It will erase your settings, so you might want to rename the preferences folder as that can be undone.

Since saving files is affected, a reset of the OOBE folder might be an idea as well. https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/illustrator-won-t-open-any-files/m-p/12752278

Is there any difference, when there are no fonts in the file and no linked/embedded images? Linked images when linked from a network can cause issues as well.

And then there is an ongoing issue with prionters. Do you have one? Is it turned on? Is the driver up to date and set as the default driver? Illustrator likes the company of a printer. It searches one when opening a file and again when saving it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File >> Save As and turn off PDF compatible.

OOBE RESET MAC

1. Quit the Creative Cloud desktop app  (100% you must do this)
  2. The \Users\<user folder>\Library\ is hidden by default for macOS 10.7 and above. Option click on the GO in the mac finder to reveal the Library folder.
  3. /Users/<user folder>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/OOBE
  4. Delete all the files within the OOBE folder, but do not delete the folder itself.

PREFS  RESET (thorough)  

Quit Illustrator

Finder >> Shift Command G

~/Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator 22 Settings/en_US*/Adobe Illustrator Prefs

rename Adobe Illustrator 26 to Adobe Illustrator 26 old

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I'm having the same issue.

I'm using illustrator 26.5. I deleted the OOBE files and the prefs file. And I unchecked 'PDF compatibilty' when saving. But the dialog box still shows up.

So, when I save certain files it gives this message 'illustrator converting text objects with variable fonts and color' and saving takes long. However, I'm not using any text at all. The files where this happens usually contain rather complex blend objects.

I've done some testing. When I make a blend with radial gradients that are not centred and rather complex, this dialog box starts showing up when saving. Have a look at the attachment. All goes well until the last blend at the bottom: complex gradient and many blend steps. This is when the dialog box starts showing up and saving takes longer.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Saving to creative cloud instead of on my computer seems to fix the problem. But this is not a real fix, because I like to save my files on my computer.

Best,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a fix at all- Absolutely ridiculous that this actually changes the result. I'm right with you, standard update, no I will not delete my preferences, that's ridiculous and has been shown not to matter. This is a bug that's still in the latest 'production release' of AI...   (26.5)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2023 Feb 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off PDF compatible is not a good solution when you are working with thousands of files and need to use the spacebar preview. You get this instead of a preview of the file.

robt4623874_0-1675342640443.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2023 Feb 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off PDF compatible is not a good solution when you are working with thousands of files and need to use the spacebar preview. You get this instead of a preview of the file.

By @robt4623874

So you are experiencing slow saving times?

Where do you save your files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having the same issue but im not really techy enough to action the above steps. 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having the same issue but im not really techy enough to action the above steps. 😕

By @stephaniem96481292

In that case you might want to contact Customer Care and have them take a look inside your system https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @rickb282611,

Sorry to hear about this experience. I hope the suggestions shared by Monika helped resolve the problem. If not, kindly try Choosing "Save As" and unselecting "PDF compatible" and check if it helps.

Please update this thread if the issue persists or if you need further assistance.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both Monika & Anubhav for your help,
Sorry for the delay, my worklaod has made it hard to respond quickly.

Monika, I had not reset the preferences yet, but I have noticed quicker saving times in a document that has no fonts.

All my linked images are stored in the same folder as the Illustrator diocument, and on my hard drive. 

That is our workflow here, we never work directly off of our server.
I will try the resetting of the OOBE folder once I wrap up a few rush jobs I have and let you know.

Anubhav, I will definitely try unchecking the "PDF Compatable" next and let you know how that works.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Files that have no text do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I concur, I just saved a .pdf which had nothing in it except a .jpg and got the same message.

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2022 Sep 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont have ANY text in my document. Why is this happening!? How can I disable it. Its taking forever to save. Damn me for updating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i found a posible solution to this issue.
The issue starts when I put an image with a text, in mi case was a jpg picture of a wall with a number "4" printed in. I draw a rectangle over the picture, filled with any color,  then try to save the .ai and worked perfectly, erase the rectangle and return the issue. 

Then open the jpg with the number 4 in Photoshop, save again the file without the "progressive" format ( with optimized format) and the problem dissapears. 

Believe or not, that worked.  Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunatly for me, this happens with placed images regardless of format or weather or not they have numbers or text or anything in them. My files, for example, are either photos or paintings and in either tiff or PSD formats. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @rickb282611 @Ale Olguin @Guillo262289378nuf @cameronconner,

We are sorry for the trouble. I am able to replicate this behaviour with a couple of specific files on my end. I have logged a bug with the product team, and they will start the investigation.

Would you mind sharing the system specification & the exact version of OS and Illustrator?

I understand this issue hasn't been addressed for a very long time. However, I wouldn't be able to promise a resolution for it right away.

I would request you all to please upvote this UserVoice and add your comment. This will help us prioritize the issue, which is the best way to get the attention & communicate with the Engineering and Product teams regarding issues & feature requests.

We appreciate your time & patience.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2022 Sep 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,
Anshul, I am running on an:

iMac late 2013

3.5 GHz quad core intel i7

32GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB

OS 10.15.7

Ilustrator version 26.5

I have seen this happen with some files, and not others, and it is confuing!

Like others have mentioned, at times it doesn't seem to matter if there editable text in the document,
while other times maybe that is the issue?
Thank you for your attention to this!

To the rest of the community, my apologies for being absent with a reply to all your posts.
I have been reading them all, but the workload here has made it hard to resond. (I came in early today to hopefully get caught up).

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

App: Illustrator 26.5 (64 bit)

Version 21H2
Installed on ‎2/‎26/‎2022
OS build 19044.2006
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0

Processor AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.9 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Anshul

MacBook Air M1 2020, 8 Gb RAM 250 Gb SSD
MacOS Monterey 12.5.1

Illustrator 26.5.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator 26.5

Mac Mini (2018)

3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7

64GB 2667 MHz DDR45

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

macOS Monterey 12.5.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @margarett84945657 @Ale Olguin @Met1 @rickb282611, for sharing the system specifications. I have already shared the details with the product team. I will like to inform you that they are still investigating the issue.

I will reach out to you if any further information is required. We appreciate your time & patience.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines