• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Interlocking, striped "tires"

Engaged ,
Feb 23, 2017 Feb 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Being a sucker for high contrast stripes, this graphic illusion caught my eye recently. I'm having trouble visualizing how it might have been constructed. Can anyone screw my head on straight for a task like this? Thanks as always.

interlock.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 23, 2017 Feb 23, 2017

Illustrator's 3D effects are rarely appropriate for this task. Mike just proved that with his screenshots, perhaps unintentionally.

Also, I don't see why one would need a dedicated 3D application to draw that. It's just a plain construction that can be pretty easily drawn with the Pen tool, for example.

Do I overlook something?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was likely done is a 3D render program, but if you wanted to do in Illustrtaoer

Effects >> 3D Revolve (you will need to make a symbol of strips first to use map part on)

Screen Shot 2017-02-23 at 2.08.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-23 at 2.05.53 PM.png

To get them interlock in Z space, you could use the transparency palette and a mask. This is quick, but should help you recreate.

Screen Shot 2017-02-23 at 2.05.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-23 at 2.07.51 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator's 3D effects are rarely appropriate for this task. Mike just proved that with his screenshots, perhaps unintentionally.

Also, I don't see why one would need a dedicated 3D application to draw that. It's just a plain construction that can be pretty easily drawn with the Pen tool, for example.

Do I overlook something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I intentionally left the problem areas as I did not want to misrepresent to Jam Artz  that 3D revolve would be without struggle. Since they asked on the Illustrator forum wanted to show what tools Ilustraror has for designing such items in correct perspective. I am sure the sample in the original post took  more time than the few minutes i put into my reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both. I did not assume a 3D application, but nor did I assume Illustrator's 3D Effect. Beyond what I didn't assume, I assumed some elegant combination of blends, masks and pathfinder operations that my limited cognitive capacities couldn't conceptualize on their own.

I also confess the question was idle. I don't have a need to mimic this artwork, just curious how it might be achieved. Mike, I appreciate you're deliberately exposing the inadequacies of the 3D Effect. And Kurt ā€“ OK, fine ā€“ there IS nothing elegant here, you sayā€¦ just some good ol' vector craftsmanship. In an odd way, that's a relief. No newfangled, super efficient shortcut that I've overlooked.

(Mike I'm Doug. And on my screen that's the name I'm given on my posts. Do you see JamArtz?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For my part you are welcome.

Yes JamArtz is what is seen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doug,

I see JamArtz, too.

You may click the down arrow next to your avatar in the black top bar, then Edit Community Profile, then Your Profile and change the Screen Name. If it shows (something with) Doug and not JamArtz, I can ask a forum staff friend to look into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob, I did as you instructed. But when I go to Edit Community Profile, I can't seem to edit! I can highlight each field, but none of the fields ā€“ including Screen Name ā€“ respond to my editing attempts from the keyboard. I must be in the wrong place?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2017 Feb 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doug,

Sorry, I forgot: you have to go to

accounts.adobe.com/profile

and change your screen name there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should be delighted if Kurt is right, Doug, and that you are he/you.

If that be the case there seems to be a gap of half a year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you perhaps the one Doug whose surname ā€“ by adding a vowel ā€“ does mean ā€šcatā€˜ in some parts of the world?

The pleasant way you are writing seems to confirm that surmise ā€¦

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Jacob.

Kurt, let's see if the answer is at the top of this post ā€“ I just changed my screen name. It should now say DougKatz (placing a space between first and last name was not accepted when I edited).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, Doug.

But I am still delighted to see that you are you.

The reason that it is impossible to write it with the space is that your old profile is still there and seemingly viable.

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Doug%20Katz

It must be possible to merge the two profiles, under the old name.

I will ask Madison to help. Edit: Done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 25, 2017 Feb 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I Doug now, Jacob? Or better asked, is it apparent to you by my screen name on this forum that I am who I say I am? If so, many thanks. If not, many thanks anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're Doug, Doug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes!! you are you and your screen name says you are who you say you are

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is apparent, and even obvious, Doug.

However, you still appear as having joined the forums on 10th April (or 4th October depending on whether you are over there or over here, I believe, but I am a bit uncertain whether that discrepancy is still existing) 2014, rather than 11th August (or similar to above) 2002 (or whenever it really was, depending on which forums were merged with which when, I for one was here quite some years before my apparent first appearance), so we are less than quite there, still.

And you deserve the space that is yours.

I will try to ask Madison again early next week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this digital life of quiet desperation, one never can be sure one's identity is more than mere illusion. Truth be told, it probably is no more than that, but we are grateful to friends for perpetuating it anyway. Because without it, we would be here neither since August 2002 nor April 2014.

Thanks to the kindness of all of you here, I know I am who I think I am and who I long to be ā€“ at least for this fugitive moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Doug,

I'm so sorry about this- I'm honestly not sure how this happened. Usually it's impossible to get 2 accounts with the same email. I'm afraid we're not able to merge users on the forum, but I reset the newer account (with less posts/points), so now when you login you will be logged into the older, correct account: https://forums.adobe.com/people/Doug+Katz (since 2002).

Let me know if this works now and I'm sorry again for the split!

-Madison

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Madison, from here it never didn't work! I knew nothing of this "split" until Jacob revealed it. I've never had a problem logging in and never lost access to the forums. So let me assure you no apology is necessary and no harm has been done.

Nonetheless, I'm grateful that you successfully unified me with myself. It's nice to be cured of multiple personalities, even if I've been oblivious to them all this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

slightly off-topic, but this thread got me thinking about how best to draw an axonometric torus. i'd never done it before and it was a fun little exercise, so just thought i'd share:

tora.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doug, Madison,

I believe it may be necessary to log out and in again (Sign out is an option in the dropdown by your (non) avatar in the black bar at the top), to get to your old self, including the space; the new one (from 2014) is still there (and the one you were answering from in post #19).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have signed out and back in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rather strange, Doug. I have sent Madison a new message about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Jacob+Bugge  schrieb

Rather strange, Doug. I have sent Madison a new message about it.

Can you perhaps solve the login problems via Private Messages?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines