• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is export paths the only way to open Photoshop paths in Illustrator?

Engaged ,
Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's say I have a non-background transparent layer in PS and I draw a square, then later open that PS file in AI with the option convert layers to objects.

If I draw the square as pixels, AI imports it like an image that would need to be traced.

If I draw the square as a shape, AI imports it as an editable object.

If I draw the square as a path, AI doesn't import the layer at all.

I know I can export paths to AI from the menu in PS but is that the only way to open a PS path in AI? In the situations where I need to bring something from PS into AI, the layers are mixed. One may have shapes, another may have something with pixels, another may have paths.

I need to be able to open that file as-is and work with each thing accordingly instead of having to bring paths in separately from everything else. Is there a way to do that? Thanks!

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

The workaround I'll use for now is to turn paths into shapes so AI will recognize them like everything else. In case anyone else wants to know how, in my version of PS, when you have a path selected, the menu bar at the top should say make: selection mask shape and you choose shape. That turns the path into a shape layer. Right clicking on the path only gives the option to define a custom shape out of it, which instead adds it to your custom shapes library for drawing.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's entirely PS's fault and yes, that's just how the state of things is. Aside from copy&pasting stuff over to AI you covered all the options.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The workaround I'll use for now is to turn paths into shapes so AI will recognize them like everything else. In case anyone else wants to know how, in my version of PS, when you have a path selected, the menu bar at the top should say make: selection mask shape and you choose shape. That turns the path into a shape layer. Right clicking on the path only gives the option to define a custom shape out of it, which instead adds it to your custom shapes library for drawing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can also save paths as clipping paths, then save the file as an eps. Openeing the eps in Illustrator brings the clipping paths over as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines