• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it normal for illustrator to lag when zooming?

New Here ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello , I have a new laptop (3070 RTX, Ryzen 7 CPU, 32GB ram) and yet still when i have about 50 photos (3-4mb each photo) in workplace it is lagging when i am zooming or moving around. Is it normal or is something wrong with my laptop? I put here a video for demonstration.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's normal using CPU preview. But not being able to activate GPU preview is not normal. Does it work if you restart Illustrator and open a blank document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that was strange. However when i restart and open this same document, it shows that i am actually using GPU preview (not like in video). But it is lagging also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 28, 2022 Dec 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Michal27518026v9dh,

We are sorry for the trouble. Many windows users have reported this issue recently. Would you mind confirming the exact version of OS (build no.) & Ai and sharing your system specs? Also, would it be possible for you to File> Package and share some sample files, including the linked images/files in which you are facing this issue? It would be really helpful for us to investigate the issue further.

I will be looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried 3 different versions of AI - 2021, 2022 and 2023.
Windows 11 22H2, build no. 22621.963
laptop Legion 5 pro: 32 GB RAM, AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz, GPU: Nvidia RTX 3070 mobile.

Thanks, Michal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you using to give you the size of the image files? If they are JPGs, open one in Photoshop and check the file size there. JPGs are uncompressed when opened in AI so the file size can grow to unmanageable sizes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Michal27518026v9dh,

Thanks for sharing the details. It would be really helpful if you File > Package and share some sample files, including the linked images/files in which you are facing this issue. We will check on our end and share our observations with you.

Also, would you mind checking if this is happening in a new blank document or if the behavior is only happening in some specific files?

We are here to help. We just need more info.

Thanks,

Anshul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2023 Jan 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I can't share my document, since my trial has expired. But I created a lag test document in which I have 3 (same) pictures in there and it lagging quite a lot. They are big in size but i dont think it is the problem. Basically if i have any document with like 5 photos of 3mb size it is lagging. When i add photos, it lags more and more.

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the details, @Michal27518026v9dh. I used multiple images, more than 10 with 5 -10 MB size HEIC files, and I am not facing the lagging. Do you recall if the images were embedded or linked in the document?

If the images were embedded, it could make Illustrator lag, and if they were linked but stored on a network drive, it could cause a lag if there are discrepancies in the network. Also, if GPU preview is disabled or not turned on, then there can be lag on CPU preview.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Anshul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2023 Jan 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reply. Images were linked in my own computer. GPU preview is enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for confirming that. As you no longer have the Ai file. Would you mind sharing the images here or via DM if you still have them? We will check on our end.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines